The first step in the study abroad process is to attend a mandatory information session. Sessions are held every Thursday at 1:00 pm in Sawyer 1023 during the fall and spring semester. After attending one of these sessions, an advisor can meet with you to discuss any additional questions or concerns.
Advising hours are by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, call the Study Abroad Office at 617-573-8072 or contact Tim Smetana firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Where to begin:
- Talk to your parents/guardians about your intention to study abroad
- Attend a mandatory information session (Thursdays at 1:00 pm in Sawyer 1023)
- Research and select a program and/or the destination where you wish to study abroad
- Make sure you meet all the application requirements to study abroad
- Consider if you will study abroad for a semester or academic year, or on one of our shorter-term options (such as a summer program, or faculty-led course)
- Complete the application form(s)
- Meet with your academic advisor and select the courses you wish to take
- Make sure you have submitted all required documents (refer to the checklist provided with our application form)
- Submit completed application materials to the Study Abroad Office at Suffolk University by the specified deadlines. Note: Only COMPLETED APPLICATIONS will be accepted.
- Smile! You’re one step closer to your destination!
- If you don’t have one already, make sure you obtain a passport & visa (if applicable, check with the Study Abroad Office to see if you will need a visa for your program)
- Make your travel arrangements - make sure to provide the Study Abroad Office with your final flight itinerary if applicable
- Make sure your immunizations are up to date and if you need prescription medication, check with your doctor to have enough refills for your time abroad
- Develop a budget - consider in-country cost before you go
- Attend the two mandatory pre-departure orientation sessions
- Pay your tuition balance
- Pack and make sure you have a converter for all electronic devices you take abroad