Study groups are weekly, informal, drop-in study sessions for specific courses. They are led by CLAS student study group leaders who assist students with their questions, review challenging course material and provide the opportunity for students to practice applying what they are learning in class.
If you have any questions about the Study Group Program, please contact the program coordinator, Kait Bouthillette.
Course list and schedule
Who are the study group leaders?
The study group leaders are students who have already earned success in the class for which they are leading a study group. Many of our leaders have been recommended by the faculty for this role and all of them have sought this role because they enjoy helping others and collaborating with their peers.
Our comprehensive training program is nationally certified by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
Recommend a student to serve as a study group leader by calling us at 617.573.8034 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expectations for study group leaders
1. Study Group Sessions
- Leaders facilitate weekly study groups at a regularly scheduled time and place.
- Study group sessions are neither mandatory nor graded/credit bearing course components. We encourage students to attend voluntarily.
2. Faculty Contact
- Leaders will request to meet briefly with their faculty members at the beginning of the semester to discuss how the Study Group can best complement the course.
- Leaders will work to maintain consistent contact and open communication with faculty throughout the semester in-person and via email.
3. Promote the Study Groups
- Leaders and CLAS tutors will promote the study group and other CLAS services by periodically making brief, in-class announcements in the first few minutes of class.
- Leaders will also send email reminders to the students about upcoming study group sessions to generate interest. Academic Computing will add leaders to your course on Blackboard.
4. Class Attendance
- Leaders should attend one session of one section of the course per week. The session and section chosen by the leader depends on his/her schedule.
- If the leader selects your course section, he or she will contact you to request permission to sit-in on your class.
- Leaders do not participate in the class. They only observe the students to ascertain where they might be struggling and serve as a visible model student for their peers.
Restrictions for study group leaders
1. Leaders are not allowed to assist students directly with graded assignments unless permitted by the faculty.
2. Leaders are not allowed to grade or evaluate student work or performance.
3. Leaders will not report study group attendance to other students or faculty – please contact Kait Bouthillette with questions regarding attendance.
4. Leaders will not teach new material in study group or in the faculty member’s absence in class.