At Suffolk, every student is a career agent. You bring distinctive experiences, knowledge, and abilities that can be applied to different career paths. Your university education will only further and enhance what you already have to offer. Now it’s time to take a guided tour through the many resources that will assist you in developing and promoting your brand. To get started, simply click on the tab that best corresponds to your career stage.
>> Your experiences have taught you something
• What you've learned and done has value.
>> You have so much to offer
• Employers, the market, the world need and want what you have.
• Once you recognize what that is, share it.
>> You're more than your major
• Organizations hire for value, not just for majors.
>> This is the beginning of your brand
• It's time to discover more about who you are.
>> Your career choice may be based on your major.
But it doesn't have to be
• What you choose to study may only partly influence your future choices.
>> You have more options than you think. Be open minded
• Options may be found-- or created.
>> You know your strengths and interests. You know what you
• You can apply them in the world of work.
>> We can point you in the right direction
• Sometimes the best matches are not obvious.
>> Learn to see yourself the way an employer does
• Go where they are, listen, and ask questions
>> The best way to get into an employer is not always through
• Start with who you know. Friends, family members, neighbors, teachers,
Suffolk staff, and alumni.
• Your network is growing every day.
>> Get your foot in the door through an informational interview
or a job shadow
• Find out what it's really like to do a job or work for an organization.
>> We know what employers are looking for
• We will prepare you to meet their needs and expectations.
>> Hands-on experience matters. It gives you the information you
need to make good decisions
• Look beyond the classroom: What do you want to try? Whom do you
want to serve? What can you offer? How do you want to grow?
>> Just want to dip your toe in the water?
• Then try: mentoring, additional informational interviewing, additional job
shadowing, and service learning.
>> Want to dive right in?
• Then try: interning, co-oping (extended internship), conducting research,
and doing field work.
>> We are experience experts
• We can help you find it, apply for it, and articulate its value to others.
>> Your hard work and experiences are paying off
• You're collecting information and defining your value.
>> You know more about what employers want and what you want
• Have you found any matches?
>> Focus on the short term. Short-term decisions lead to long-term
• What are three possible options available to you right now?
>> We will continue to support you in making informed choices
about your career
• You are now a Career Agent for life!
• Over the course of your career, using the process outlined in this
brochure empowers you to proactively manage employment
situations, opportunities, and disruptions.