Courses at Other Institutions
Once matriculated into a degree program at Suffolk, students are expected to complete all of their coursework at the University. Exceptions are made for international study or where academic hardship merits consideration. A student must be in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or better with no Incomplete grades) and have transferred fewer than 63 outside credit hours into Suffolk. If approved for a course at another institution, a student must attain a grade of "C" or higher in order to receive transfer credit. It is expected that students will complete their final 30 credit hours at Suffolk University. New students in their first semester without final grades may not be approved for outside courses. Courses taken at other institutions may affect student eligibility for graduation honors.
Students who feel their situation warrants an exception must apply through the Undergraduate Academic Advising Center.
Instructions for Making a Request
1) To be eligible, a student must:
- Submit petition at least two weeks prior to the start of Suffolk’s summer I session
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Have transferred fewer than 63 outside credits into Suffolk, and have accrued not more than 86 total credit hours toward graduation
- Not have begun the final 30 credits of the BSBA program
Meeting the above criteria does not guarantee that a petition for an outside course will be approved.
2) Get this information before completing the petition:
- The URL for the course description. If unavailable, contact the institution and request a copy of the syllabus or a .pdf of the catalog with the course name, number, and description.
- Write a 2-3 paragraph request explaining specifically why the outside course should be allowed. The most common reason that petitions are rejected is insufficient information as well as unacceptable reasons for the request.
3) Then complete the petition form online.
- Requests must be made at least 10 business days before the start of the course you're requesting.
- Expect it to take up to 5 business days to review your request.
- Petitions will not be reviewed the week before registration and during registration week.
4) After completing the outside course:
- You must earn a “C” grade or better in the outside course for transfer of credits
- Arrange for the outside institution to send an official transcript to: Suffolk University, Sawyer Business School Undergraduate Academic Advising Center, 41 Temple Street, Donahue 208, Boston, MA 02114.
- IMPORTANT: if the outside course is a prerequisite for a class you plan to take in the upcoming term, make sure the Undergraduate Academic Advising Center receives proof that you successfully completed the prerequisite course prior to the start of the upcoming term or you may be dropped from the upper-level course.