- You will most probably have to open a Spanish bank account.
- Apartment owners normally require you to pay a fianza, or security deposit. In most cases, this is the equivalent of two or three months' rent.
- You may have to pay one month's rent as the realtor's commission if the apartment is facilitated by a realtor.
- Partial or total waivers of your housing fee may result in a reduction of the financial aid funds granted to you for the current Academic Year.
Suffolk University Madrid Campus staff cannot assume any of the abovementioned responsibilities for students who seek housing on their own, or any financial or legal obligations related to such housing.Any student contemplating his or her own apartment needs to meet the following REQUIREMENTS:
- Have lived in Madrid for at least one semester.
- Have at least sophomore status.
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5.
- Have a good command of Spanish.
- Be capable of dealing with contracts, landlords, maintenance workers, and/ or technicians who might be required for any necessary repairs or unexpected housing situations.
- Be capable of handling all bureaucratic details to ensure that telephone lines, internet access, and utilities are installed and running properly.
If a student fulfills these requirements and would like to request a housing waiver, she or he must request it formally.
HOUSING WAIVER REQUESTS
You must fill out the housing waiver request form and give/send it to the Housing Coordinator before the stipulated deadline for the semester in question. If your request is approved, you will then have to sign a housing liability waiver at the beginning of the semester.If you plan to live with family:
- You must provide written confirmation from your family that you will live with them.
- You must provide the address of the apartment where you’d like to live and your contact number.
- You must provide a copy of your lease at the beginning of the semester.
HOUSING WAIVER REQUEST DEADLINES:(No housing waiver requests will be considered after these deadlines)
- Fall semester & Academic Year - July 1
- Spring semester - November 1
- Summer Session - April 15