International Transcripts and Evaluation
Students who have attended an institution of higher education outside of the United States are required to submit an official “Course-by-Course Evaluation” of their academic credentials. You may use any NACES-member organization to complete the evaluation. Our preferred provider is World Education Services (WES).
If the evaluation organization does not provide us with certified, official copies of your academic transcripts, you will be required to have them submitted to us separately.
It is recognized that educational systems in other countries differ from that of the United States. Generally, a first university degree can be considered as comparable to its US counterpart, provided that the degree was earned at an institution that is officially recognized by its country's Ministry of Education. The comparability of international course work and degrees will be determined exclusively by Suffolk University's Office of Graduate Admission.
English Proficiency Requirement
Proficiency in English is required of all international applicants. Applicants whose native language is not English must submit official test scores from one of the following exams:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The TOEFL examination is given in internet-based (iBT), computer-based, and paper-based formats. A minimum TOEFL score of 80 in the iBT scoring system (with no subscore lower than 17), 213 computer-based, or 550 paper-based is required of applicants. Suffolk University's code for TOEFL test scores is 3771.
- International English Language Testing System test (IELTS). A minimum score of 6.5 is required, with no subscores below 6.0.
- PTE-Academic (Pearson Test of English). A minimum score of 53 is required.
You must have an official copy of the test result sent directly from the testing service. English-proficiency test scores are also a consideration in the awarding of merit fellowships. Scores are valid for two (2) years from the date the exam is taken.
Applicants are exempt from submitting the TOEFL/IELTS/PTE-Academic if:
- They have received a degree from an accredited college or university in the US within the last two (2) years
- They are permanent residents of the US (and must submit a copy of the Permanent Resident card, front and back)
- Their first/native language is English and they are from one of the following countries:
British West Indies