How will your resume stand out against other recent graduates?
Whether you’re an undergraduate or graduate student, enrolling in a 3-credit Global Travel Seminar is a chance to build your resume and extend your network internationally. You’ll spend 7-10 days visiting a foreign country, immersed in global business. You can choose from various destinations, such as Germany, China, India, Israel, Brazil, Greece, and England.
Benefits of a Global Travel Seminar
- Connects classroom learning with real-world experience
- Firsthand exposure to international business issues and concepts
- Network with students, faculty, and global business leaders
- Adds a line to your resume that helps you stand out
- Experience a new culture
- Applicable to both your education and your career
“My experience in China has fueled my desire to become a global manager. I walked on a world wonder, experienced an ancient culture and immersed myself into a country of enormous disparity. My original intention was to visit a country that I would not normally visit alone. However, experiencing the intricacies of the Chinese business world has changed my viewpoint of the country. I would work in China in a heartbeat.” Nicholas Picard, Global MBA alumnus
Each Global Travel Seminar is uniquely crafted by the faculty leader, so no two are exactly alike.
Each seminar counts as a 3-credit international business course. As part of the academic requirement, you’ll take 3 pre-travel class sessions and 1 post-travel class session.
Pre-travel Class Sessions
Before the trip, you’ll have three class sessions with your faculty advisor, where you’ll discuss your site visits and learn about:
- The destination’s economy and its competitive position in the global marketplace
- The political, social, and cultural environment
- Current business issues within the destination
- The unique cultural aspects of doing business in the destination
Post-travel Class Session
In the last class session, you’ll present your main seminar project. The final project, determined by your faculty leader, could be a paper, presentation, or group assignment.
Experiencing global business firsthand is a key component of the seminar. You’ll spend 7-10 days engaged in a series of field visits and cultural activities designed to immerse you in the business culture of a destination.
You’ll visit a variety of businesses, ranging from the headquarters of large, multinational corporations to small, entrepreneurial firms. Other potential visits could be to local institutions, such as stock exchanges or regulatory authorities, or you could meet with government leaders or academic experts.
Our students have visited companies, such 3M, the Bank of England, Bayer, BMW, Bombay Stock Exchange, Bovespa, Citigroup, Coca Cola, Embraer, GE Financial Services, Lenovo, Lloyd’s of London, Lufthansa, Microsoft, Natura, State Street Global Markets, TV Globo, Volkswagen, the World Trade Organization (WTO), and Zambon.
Understanding the local culture is an important element of the Global Travel Seminar and essential for success. You'll experience a variety of cultural activities, including sightseeing and city tours, visits to museums and historical landmarks, theater performances, and group dinners featuring authentic cuisine. You’ll even have some free time to explore on your own.
There are three cost components for each global travel seminar:
- Tuition for 3 credits
- Flight (exceptions may apply)
- Seminar fee, which includes:
- Hotel accommodations based on double occupancy
- Ground transportation within destination
- English-speaking tour guide
- Cultural activities
- Business programming
- Some meals, including welcome reception and farewell dinner
- Visas (undergrads only)
McDonnell Scholarships are available for undergraduate students. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need and merit. Students must receive financial aid, be enrolled in at least 6 credits and fully registered in a Global Travel Seminar to qualify. The maximum award is $1,500.
How to Register
1. Complete your online registration form:
|Undergraduate Forms||Graduate Forms|
|China ($3,000)||Brazil ($3,250)|
|India (TBA)||China ($3,000)|
|Italy ($3,350)||Germany ($3,000)|
|United Kingdom ($3,100)|
2. Meet with your advisor, if necessary.
3. During the registration period, bring a copy of your passport and a $500 non-refundable deposit to Hillary Sabbagh, located on the 6th floor of 73 Tremont St.
- Your application will not be accepted until all materials have been submitted.
- Registration will remain open until class is full.
- Limited seats are available and are on a first-come, first-served basis