We expect students to know the academic policies and procedures applicable to their degree program. Students may accomplish this in several ways:
- Become familiar with the current Suffolk University Academic Catalog. The Policies for academic standing, validation credits, transfer credits, and many others are highlighted here.
- Meet with their assigned faculty advisor
Courses at Other Institutions
Once matriculated into a degree program at Suffolk University, students are expected to complete all course work at the University. Exceptions are made for international study, or where academic hardship merits consideration. When approved, a maximum of two courses may be taken at another accredited institution. Please note that taking outside courses may affect eligibility for honors at graduation.
A complete description of the Business School’s policy may be found in the current catalog.
Instructions for Making a Request
1) To be eligible, a student must:
- Submit petition at least two weeks prior to the start of Suffolk’s summer I session
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Have transferred fewer than 63 outside credits into Suffolk, and have accrued not more than 86 total credit hours toward graduation
- Not have begun the final 30 credits of the BSBA program
Meeting the above criteria does not guarantee that a petition for an outside course will be approved.
2) Get this information before completing the petition:
- The URL for the course description. If unavailable, contact the institution and request a copy of the syllabus or a .pdf of the catalog with the course name, number, and description.
- Write a 2-3 paragraph request explaining specifically why the outside course should be allowed. The most common reason that petitions are rejected is insufficient information as well as unacceptable reasons for the request.
3) Then complete the petition form online.
- Requests must be made at least 10 business days before the start of the course you're requesting.
- Expect it to take up to 5 business days to review your request.
- Petitions will not be reviewed the week before registration and during registration week.
4) After completing the outside course:
- You must earn a “C” grade or better in the outside course for transfer of credits
- Arrange for the outside institution to send an official transcript to: Suffolk University, Sawyer Business School Undergraduate Academic Advising Center, 41 Temple Street, Donahue 208, Boston, MA 02114.
- IMPORTANT: if the outside course is a prerequisite for a class you plan to take in the upcoming term, make sure the Undergraduate Academic Advising Center receives proof that you successfully completed the prerequisite course prior to the start of the upcoming term or you may be dropped from the upper-level course.