Practical Skills, Professional Atmosphere
If you are a second language speaker thinking about attending a graduate program in the United States but would like to polish your language skills before you start, consider Suffolk's Bridge program for graduate students.
Bridge is a non-credit, intensive English language program that is tailored to the academic needs of graduate students. Bridge classes mirror actual graduate-level courses and the curriculum incorporates many of the same assignments and projects that graduate students will encounter at an American university.
The Edge You'll Need to Succeed
Bridge will give you the winning edge that will make your graduate experience a memorable and positive one. At Bridge, you will:
- Experience the challenges and expectations of a graduate-level class
- Bring your academic skills to a new level
- Get acquainted with the case study method and read authentic materials
- Learn important skills like writing reports and analyses, conducting research
- Practice the language of business
- Participate in mock business meetings, debates and interviews
- Learn how to deliver a top-notch Powerpoint presentation
All instructors in the Bridge program have an advanced degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) or a related field and experience teaching English in the United States and abroad.
Experienced advisors assist students with visas, housing, orientation, and admission procedures.
Joining the Bridge Program
To receive an application for admission, please contact:
Office of Undergraduate Admission
What Students Are Saying
"When I got the first assignment to analyze a company, I was confident because I already had the big picture through the pre-MBA program. The pre-MBA classes provided me with both English skills and business knowledge."
"Reading case studies helped me a lot. The teachers not only showed me how to read a case study but how to approach it. This program is very successful in every way."
"The pre-MBA course was very helpful to me. I was so impressed by the outstanding, enthusiastic instructors. The program is well organized and it taught me how to adapt myself to the MBA program."
Contact UsCarrie Baldassari
ELI Program Coordinator
73 Tremont St.
Boston, MA 02108
The Bridge program is a full-time intensive English program tailored to the academic needs of students who wish to pursue an MBA or advanced degree. Students have 22 hours of class instruction per week, including:
- Skills Instruction (12 hours)
- Reading, Writing and Grammar
- Listening, Speaking and Pronunciation
- Enrichment Classes (10 hours)
Students may have the opportunity to choose from computer labs or American business culture labs.
- A completed ELI application form [PDF]
- Proof of minimum level of English proficiency through TOEFL score (525 paper-based/190 computer-based) or an equivalent test of English proficiency
- A translated, official college transcript or proof of graduation from a university
- (For permanent residents) A photocopy of your alien registration card
- (For visa candidates) A completed declaration of finances [PDF] and/or proof of ability to pay
- Medical history form [PDF]
Please note: F-1 students are required by law to maintain a full-time course load every semester. The Suffolk MBA Bridge program is a full-time, non-credit program.
Dates & Housing
Fall semester (14 weeks) Sept - Dec
Spring semester (14 weeks) Jan - May
Summer II semester (7 weeks) July - Aug
For summer ELI students, limited on-campus housing is available. During the fall and spring, the Off-Campus Housing Office can assist you. Please call 617.573.8647 with questions.