The staff of Career Services has developed a roadmap to help you be able to embark on a satisfying career after graduation. We've outlined steps for you to take each year. Please explore and visit this roadmap throughout your time at Suffolk to help you stay on track.
1. Get Connected With Career Services: Stop by open office hours or make an appointment with a career counselor.
2. Identify Your Interests, Skills And Abilities: Take a career assessment test and review your results with a career counselor. Begin exploring the materials in our Career Resource Library.
3. Develop A Draft Of Your Resume: Have your draft critiqued at a resume workshop or in a "Career Doc" session.
4. Start Planning For Sophomore Year: Attend Freshman Career Day (spring semester). Meet with your academic advisor to plan next year's course schedule
1. Test Your Major and Career Choice(s): Complete a College Major/Career Assessment Test. Join Suffolk club(s) in your area of interest. Review career information in the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
2. Sharpen Your Focus: Arrange an informational interview with a member of the Alumni Career Advisory Network. Attend Career Week events. Meet with academic advisors in your field of interest and choose classes related to your career goals.
3. Revise Your Résumé and Polish Your Interviewing Skills: Review your resume and cover letter drafts with a career counselor. Attend one of our interview workshops.
4. Prepare for Junior Year: Declare your major. Attend Sophomore Career Day. Research the co-op process and opportunities. Attend the Summer Co-Op Job Fair (spring semester).
1. Experience Your Career Field With a Co-Op Placement or Internship: Discuss your options with a co-op counselor. Ask your academic advisor about internship opportunities. Attend Career Week.
2. Update Your Resume and Draft Cover Letters: Review them with a career counselor.
3. Network: Explore the Alumni Career Advisory Network (ACAN). Investigate specific professional associations. Attend our Networking Live workshop.
4. Develop Your Job Search or Grad School Plans: Attend Junior Career Day. Discuss your plans with a career counselor. Attend the Summer Co-op Job Fair (spring semester).
1. Define Your “Exit Strategy”— Employment or Graduate School: Attend field-specific Senior Career Day by Major. Visit your career counselor at the beginning of fall and spring semesters to discuss your individualized career plan. Review your action plan on a monthly basis.
2. Perfect Your Marketing Materials: Attend a resume workshop or meet with a counselor to review and revise your resume and cover letter. Assemble a portfolio.
3. Hone Your Interviewing and Job Search Skills: Sign up for a mock interview. Attend our Business Etiquette event. Participate in our Interview Skills workshop.
4. Take Full Advantage of the Recruiting Program: Register with Experience for access to job postings, on-campus recruiting, resume books, and job fair announcements. Tap into the Alumni Career Advisory Network (ACAN).