The Counseling Center regularly conducts evaluation and accountability research to determine the effectiveness of counseling services and to improve both the quality and breadth of services. Data generated by research initiatives are used to advocate on behalf of students with both faculty and administrators.
Listed below are some of the research activities and initiatives that members of the Counseling Center have had published or distributed to administrators and colleagues on campus.
Evaluation of Counseling Services: A Six Year Review (2008)
Annual Report: Suffolk University Counseling Center (2007 -2008)
National Depression Screening Survey (2008)
The Counseling Center continued its participation in National Depression Screening Day by administering an anonymous depression screening survey to 229 CAS, SBS and LAW students in October. This report provides an overview of the combined results, as well as brief comparisons to data from the 2005 and 2007 surveys.
The Suffolk University Student: Past, Present, and Future (1970-1998)
The introductory section of this article was published in 1980 by the Counseling Center in an effort to analyze whether any significant changes had occurred in full-time freshman students over the previous decade. The data collected was also combined with similar data provided by the Office of Enrollment Management on the freshman classes of 1990 and 1998.
- Title: Focus on Ethics: Cultural and Linguistic Competence: Welcome Challenges From Successful Diversification Author(s): Field, Lynda D., Schwartz, Audrey, Domenech Rodriguez, Melanie M., Santiago-Rivera, Azara L. & Arredondo, Patricia.
Publication Source: Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, Vol. 41, No. 3, 2010.
- Title: No Hay Rosas sin Espinas: Conceptualizing Latina-Latina Supervision From a Multicultural Development Supervisory Model
Author(s): Field, Lynda D., Chavez-Korell, Shannon & Domenech Rodriguez, Melanie M.
Publication Source: Training and Education in Professional Psychology, Vol. 4, No. 1, February 2010.
- Title: The Use of Family Therapy within a University Counseling Center
Author: Jackson, Kathryn
Publication Source: Journal of College Student Psychotherapy, Vol. 23, No. 4, 2009.
- Title: A Counseling Center Psychologist Teaches a Seminar for Freshmen: "Life Lessons from the Writings of Alice Walker"
Author: Jackson, Kathryn
Publication Source: Journal of Poetry Therapy, Vol. 22, No. 2, 2009.
- Title: Psychotherapy with College Student Survivors of War and Political Trauma
Author: Jackson, Kathryn, & Seeman, David
Publication Source: Journal of College Student Psychotherapy, Vol. 23, No. 1, 2009.
- Title: Affirmative Counseling with Transgender Individuals
Author(s): Korell, S.C., & Lorah, M.
Publication Source: Handbook of Counseling and Psychotherapy with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Clients, 2006.
Publisher: American Psychological Association
- Title: Prevention and Outreach With Underserved Populations
Author(s): Morgan, Melissa, Vera, Elizabeth, Daly, Brian, Gonzales, Rufus & Thakral, Charu
Publication Source: Handbook for Social Justice in Counseling Psychology Leadership, Vision, and Action, 2006.
Publisher: Sage Publications
- Title: A Successful Community Based Intervention for Addressing College Student Depression
Author(s): Field, L.D., Elliott, M.S., & Korn, P.R.
Publication Source: The Journal of College Student Development, January/February 2006.
- Title: Counseling and Psychotherapy in Italy: A Profession in Constant Change
Author(s): Gemignani, Marco & Giliberto, Massimo
Publication Source: The Journal of Mental Health Counseling - Counseling Around the World (Vol. 27, #2, 168-184) April 2005
Publisher: The American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA)
- Title: Counseling and Psychotherapy with Latino/Latina Clients
Author(s): Castillo, Elisa M., Gloria, Alberta M., Ruiz, Ester L.
Publication Source: Practicing Multiculturalism, Affirming Diversity in Counseling and Psychology, 2004.
Publisher: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Title: Validity of Rogerian Therapy in Turkish Culture: A Cross-Cultural Perspective
Author(s): Poyrazli, Senel
Publication Source: The Journal of Humanistic Counseling, Education and Development (Vol. 42, #1, 107-115) Spring 2003.
- Title: Heterosexual Identity Development: A Multidimensional Model of Individual and Social Identity
Author(s): Dillon, Frank R., Savoy, Holly B., Worthington, Roger L. & Vernaglia, Elizabeth R.
Publication Source: The Counseling Psychologist (Vol. 30, #4, 496-531) July 2002.
- Title: The Case of a Haitian American Student
Authors: Field, Lynda
Publication Source: Case Studies of Brief Psychotherapy with College Students, Winter, 2001-2002.
Publisher: Eds, Cooper, S. & Archer, J.
- Title: Providing Mental Health Services to Arab Americans: Recommendations and Considerations
Author(s): Al-Timimi, Nada R. & Erickson, Craig D.
Publication Source: Cultural Diversity & Ethnic Minority Psychology (Vol. 7, #4, 308-327) Nov. 2001.
- Title: Adjustment Issues of Turkish College Students Studying in the United States
Author(s): Poyrazli, Senel , Arbona, Bullington, & Pisecco
Publication Source: College Student Journal, Winter 2000.
- Title: The One-by-One Dialogue Group Concept: Descendants of the Holocaust Meet Descendants of the Third Reich
Authors: Busse, W., Emme, M., Gerut, R., and Lapidus, J.
Journal: Journal of Humanistic Psychology, Spring 1999.
- Title: Domestic Violence in Japan
Author: Kozu, Junko
Journal: American Psychologist, January 1999, Volume 54, No.1, 50-54.