The Studio Theatre
In the fall of 2016, the Theatre Department will open their brand-new, state-of-the-art Studio Theatre on the 11th floor of the Sawyer building. The Studio Theatre will be the Theatre Department’s primary classroom and performance space. At just under 50 seats, the Studio will provide students with an intimate laboratory space to explore all aspects of theatre. The program’s emphasis on student-generated work offers several opportunities throughout the year to get involved.
The Modern Theatre
In 2010, the Theatre Department celebrated the re-opening of the historic Modern Theatre. Located at 525 Washington Street in the heart of Boston's Theatre District, the 185-seat, state-of-the-art theatre is a cultural center for the Suffolk and greater Boston communities. The interior walls are covered by a stunning original mural by Tony award-winning Broadway set designer, John Lee Beatty. The Modern Theatre was a 2011 recipient of the prestigious Preservation Honor Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
For tickets, visit the official Modern Theatre website.
Modern Theatre in the News
- Boston Globe "Modern brought up-to-date"
- WBUR "Theater District Revival Continues With The Modern" and Audio
- BBN News "Renovated Theater Takes A Bow"
- Beacon Hill Patch "Suffolk University Opens Much Anticipated Theater"
- The Boston Phoenix "Washington Street's smallest theater reopens"