The following documents are available for download. Unless indicated, all documents are either in PDF or Microsoft Word format and are under 50 KB.
Photocopy Request Form
Please use this form to request photocopies of books, articles, etc. You will receive a confirmation email when the photocopy job has been completed. If you are requesting photocopies from physical materials, please place them in Lauren Vermette's mailbox. Please do not leave them on her desk.
* Indicates a required field.
We will do our best to accommodate short deadlines, however, we ask that you give us at least 3 business days for larger projects.
Teaching Certification Program
The Psychology Department offers teaching certification for students currently enrolled in the Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program at Suffolk University. The Graduate Teaching Certification Program will make use of multiple teaching training opportunities and mechanisms, and culminate in the awarding of the Graduate Teaching Certificate. Two “levels” of Certification (Level 1, or “Basic”, and Level 2, or “Advanced”) will be made available to students, depending upon their engagement and interest in teaching training.
Graduate Teaching Certification Program Goals
Graduate Teaching Certification Program Elements
- To prepare graduate students for a career in college-level teaching.
- To teach students how to critically examine their own teaching, and make effective adaptations to their teaching and courses to meet student needs.
- To build strong teaching skills through mentored teaching experiences in undergraduate classes.
- To have students design and execute a well-conceived undergraduate course in Psychology. (Advanced Level only)
- To complete a thoughtful Teaching Portfolio in support of the student’s own career. (Advanced Level only)
To support each of the program goals above, the GTC will:
- Provide numerous years of mentored teaching training, through the TA program, coursework, and CTE workshops. For Advanced Level certification, mentorship will continue while teaching an undergraduate psychology course.
- Seek and respond to student’s self-reflections on teaching via TA program surveys, faculty mentorship, and mentorship in the Teaching of Psychology course.
- Offer the Teaching of Psychology for students in their 2nd or 3rd years of the program as an elective course, including in-classroom teaching observations in a General Psychology course. Successful completion of the course will include selecting text and designing a syllabus for an introductory-level psychology course. The faculty teaching the course provides mentorship and review of all materials generated by the student, as well as a written teaching evaluation for each student. Students also receive mentored opportunities for lecturing each semester during the TA program, and support while teaching their own course for the Advanced Level certificate.
- The Psychology Department and CTE will provide materials, examples and workshops on how to build the teaching portfolio. The Director of Graduate Studies will also review the finished portfolio, offering suggestions for revision.
Program requirements include:
- Successful completion of the Teaching Apprenticeship program in years 1-2
- Attendance and participation in at least 3 teaching workshops offered by the Center for Teaching Excellence
- Taking and successfully completing the course The Teaching of Psychology (Psych 772)
All of the above in Level 1, plus:
- Teaching at least one undergraduate course as a Graduate Student Lecturer in the Psychology Department at Suffolk University
- Submission of a Teaching Portfolio to the department (for review by the Director of Graduate Studies) upon completion of the Graduate Student Lecturer position
Students seeking Level 2 certification may find more information on the creation of a Teaching Portfolio at the Center for Teaching Excellence website.