Please make sure your signature is legible and includes the date. If needed, please also print your name next to your signature.
Do all reimbursements to employees require preapproval, and if so, what is the procedure?
Daily travel (not overnight) does not require preapproval. (See Section 7.1 of the Travel & General Expense Reimbursement Policy for other requirements relating to daily travel.) Overnight travel, non-travel related entertainment and purchases on behalf of the University require preapproval. The levels of approval are:
- Direct supervisor
- Department head or chair
- Dean, vice president or senior vice president
Do reimbursements to students require preapproval? Does it matter if they are also an employee?
All reimbursements to students, including those students who are also employees, must be preapproved. These approvals follow the same preapproval process as above.
What type of detail is needed when completing the Expense Reimbursement Form?
Here are some examples of required detail:
- If seeking reimbursement for travel with a personal vehicle, note the destination, the reason for the trip and the number of miles.
- If seeking reimbursement for a local meal, note all the attendees, their affiliation to the University and/or organization they represent, and specific business purpose for the meal
Do I have to wait to be reimbursed for air/rail expenses or conference registrations until my trip is complete?
No. After you have obtained the preapproval for the trip, you may book and pay for your flight and registration and then immediately submit for your travel advance (i.e., hotel costs and half of meals, etc., per the policy), and reimbursement for air/rail and registration. The air/rail expenses and/or registration fees will be reimbursed immediately; advances are given two weeks prior to the trip. Note: registration fees for conferences may be paid through a purchase order. Check with the conference and work with the Purchasing Office as to whether this may be an available option.
Do I have to use the authorized University travel agency?
Carlson Wagonlit Travel is Suffolk’s preferred online and full-service travel agency. However, in certain cases, travelers are not required to use the travel agency (refer to Section 3.3 in the travel policy), including if:
- A lower fare is found elsewhere
- Itinerary changes are necessary related to emergency situations
- A conference or seminar has substantial discounts that can’t be matched by Carlson
- A business client requests the traveler use the business’ travel agency
- The traveler is part of a group that purchases tickets though another agency
What kind of seat can I book for air travel?
Coach/economy must be used for all domestic and international travel. For an international trip when the total flying time exceeds seven hours, a business-class seat may be booked.
What do I submit for EZ Pass toll fees?
Log into your EZ Pass account and print your activity for the time period of your travel. Note the tolls you are submitting for and include the statement as your receipt.
Which form do I use if I am taking a day trip that involves air travel (i.e., no hotel, round-trip flight same day)?
Use the travel form only. You do not need to complete the expense reimbursement form. You may submit for the air and any ground transportation (i.e., taxis) on that form.
If I need to make a purchase on behalf of the University, but paying up front and seeking reimbursement is not an option, what are my other options?
There are many options:
- If possible, work with the Purchasing Department to establish a business relationship with the vendor so a purchase order may be issued and payment terms established.
- If ordering online, the University purchasing card held by your respective senior manager should be used.
- In some instances when neither option above is available, a cash advance (not travel advance) may be given. Refer to Section 6.1 Cash Advance in the Travel & General Expense Reimbursement Policy. The form may be found under Forms on the Business Office site.
When are meals reimbursed when overnight travel is not involved?
The University reimburses employees for reasonable expenses for meals eaten while on University business.
- For full day (starting before 7am and ending after 7pm), expenses for three (3) meals, including beverage and tip, will be reimbursed up to $115 per day, per meal-reimbursement guidelines.
- For lunch expenses involving only Suffolk University employees, the same approval processes apply as does the requirements listed in Section 4.3.1 Meal Receipts of the Travel & General Expense Reimbursement Policy
How do I estimate my meals?
If you have sufficient detail as to your planned meal expenses (not to exceed $115/day), use those estimates. Otherwise your estimated meal expenses should follow the travel policy. Remember, for individual day travel, lunch is not reimbursed.
When can I expense alcohol?
The use of alcohol for business entertainment purposes should be kept to a minimum. Alcohol purchases in lieu of meals are not reimbursable and alcohol during standard business hours is not allowed.
Can non-employees (freelances, contractors, students, etc.) receive direct deposit?
No. We are not offering this option to non-employees.
Is direct deposit mandatory for reimbursements?
No, but it is strongly encouraged. The reimbursement schedule by check remains the same - once a week on Friday. The direct-deposit schedule is twice each week, occurring on Tuesday and Friday.
How long does the direct-deposit process take?
After you submit your direct-deposit form, we run it through a “pre-note” step, which takes one week. Upon successful completion of this step, you are automatically enrolled in direct deposit for reimbursements. We have found it takes one business day to fully post the reimbursement at the receiving bank.
How long do I typically have to wait to be reimbursed?
If the request is complete and there are no outstanding questions or issues, and if the request is approved and submitted to Accounts Payable by end of day on Monday, it will be included in Friday’s check/direct-deposit run. If the request is received in Accounts Payable by Thursday, it will be included in Tuesday’s direct-deposit run (assuming you are set up on direct deposit, or the Friday check issue if you are not enrolled in direct deposit).
When can I expense gift cards?
There are two acceptable situations to give gift cards to non-Suffolk employees:
- They may be given to overseas alumni assisting locally in their respective countries
- For research involving participant costs, but the gift card cannot exceed $50 per participant
See Section 4.9.4 of the Travel & General Expense Reimbursement policy for details.
Gift cards may not be given to Suffolk employees due to tax implications.
Can I expense employee recognition events?
Parties for farewells, holidays or retirements are reimbursable if they are first authorized by your dean and or vice president. (See Section 4.10 for a sample list of non-reimbursable expenses.)