The Travel Authorization and Expense Report is used to authorize a trip and create a voucher form. Everyone within the University should use this report and it should be prepared in advance of your trip. You can obtain a copy of the form from the Business Office.
How to use a Travel Authorization and Expense Report
- Complete the form and request an advance, if necessary.
- Obtain proper signatures, including the Vice President/Treasurer's if the trip total will exceed $10,000.
- Submit the travel expense report with cost estimated to accounts payable. The advance, if requested by Monday at 3pm, will be ready on Friday by noon.
- Upon your return, complete the actual cost portion and attached all original receipts, even if the expenses were prepaid by the University (airline tickets, hotel, etc.).
- Obtain proper signatures (traveler's department head and the dean) and forward the copy to accounts payable for processing.
- If purchase orders or corporate credit cards are being used, be sure to mark the appropriate lines on the report. POs can be used for airline, hotels, registration, etc.
- When calculating out-of-pocket advance be sure to deduct all applicable purchase orders or corporate charges from the trip total. Advances are issued for a maximum of 50% of estimated out-of-pocket expenses. Cash advances under $50 will not be issued.
- Upon your return, please submit the green copy of the form containing the actual costs to the business office for reimbursement. If the University does not owe the traveler any more money he or she should submit a completed travel authorization and expense report with the original receipts to the business office for the advance given.
- If the traveler owes the University money, it should be marked on the appropriate line and a check made payable to "Suffolk University" should be attached. Cash will not be accepted.
- Please contact the business office for information regarding travel agencies (who will accept Suffolk University purchase orders), rental cars, mileage, etc.