Shelter in Place (SIP) is a protective action to stay inside a building to avoid external hazards such as severe weather, a hostile intruder, or a hazardous material release. It's implemented as a measure to protect the safety and welfare of our students and staff.
When SIP is warranted, you will be appropriately advised by police, fire, safety, or University officials via emergency notification system, the University web site, local radio and television stations, or other appropriate means.
General Steps to Shelter in Place
- Stay where you are or go into the nearest room with a door
- Close the doors (and lock if possible)
- Close the windows, blinds, and curtains
- Silence all audio equipment and cell phones
- In buildings with centrally controlled HVAC, Facilities will shut off the air supply and return fans to the building if there is a hazardous material release
- When possible turn off air conditioning/heating unit
- Wait for the "all-clear" message from authorities
Note: Just like fire drills, shelter in place drills will be performed.