Suffolk Sustainability is a program within Facilities Planning & Management. We coordinate a wide range of environmental initiatives.
Learn the Basics
Read Suffolk Sustainability 101 [PDF] for an introduction to sustainability at Suffolk.
Eco-Reps and Eco-Ambassador positions are funded through Work Study Grants.
For further information, please contact Amy Lemkin, Alemkin@suffolk.edu.
Sustainable Giving Tips
Want to give sustainably? There are plenty of ways to give without giving "stuff." [PDF]
Sustainability plays a role in many different disciplines. Learn about sustainability related research by Suffolk University faculty [PDF] members.
High Quality, Cost Effective, & Eco-Conscious
Wondering how to make your Suffolk events & meetings eco-conscious? [PDF] One way is to say "goodbye" to bottled water that traveled hundreds of miles to get to Boston, and "hello" to refreshing, local spa water.
Going Green in Higher Education
Once again, Suffolk University is one of the schools featured in this Princeton Review's Guide to 322 Green Colleges.
Overview of Sustainability at Suffolk
Suffolk University incorporates sustainability principles in how we run our institution.
- We are 100% incandescent lightbulb free*, instead relying on the more efficient LED and CFL alternatives
- We use energy efficient equipment in kitchens, offices, and residence halls.
- Our cleaning staff uses green cleaning products.
- Recycling is easy, with plenty of bins available and a single stream system so you don't have to separate your papers from your containers.
- Compost bins are located in kitchens as well as all campus cafes.
- Local food options are available for catered events.
- Staff members purchase paper with recycled content.
- Bike racks are conveniently located for faculty and students.
*By September 2014, excluding theater department
In our residence halls...
- The bathrooms have water conserving fixtures.
In our academic and administrative buildings...
- We have water bottle filling stations to make it fast, easy, and free to fill up your reusable container with filtered water.
- Printers enable you to print double-sided, thereby cutting your paper consumption in half.