New & Current Students:
- Financing Your Legal Education (pdf)
- How to Prepare for Law School (pdf)
- Tips for Frugal Living from Students (pdf)
- BostononBudget-Free Things to do in Boston!
- Annual Credit Report -Request free annual copies of your credit report.
- Consumer.gov A government website that helps you: manage and use your money wisely.
Graduates & Recent Students:
- Access Assist- A variety of financial resources that will make it easier to manage your loans and repayment.
- Pay Check City- Paycheck calculators, withholding calculators, tax calculators, payroll information and more.
- Equal Justice Works-Helping Lawyers Help Community-Student Debt Relief
- Federal Loan Repayment Plans & Options
- Loan Repayment Estimator
- Loan Repayment: Road to Zero (pdf)
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Trouble Repaying? Loan Deferment and Forbearance Information
- Bankrate.com- Free tools, expert analysis, and award-winning content to make smarter financial decisions.
- Suffolk Career Services-Offering a range of services and resources to alumni
- Suffolk Law Class of 2016 - Information specifically for our most recent graduating class.
Have a suggestion for Get $mart!?™ Contact us with your idea.
Upcoming Get$mart! Events:
Fall 2016 Semester-
- Group and individual loan repayment information sessions will be held. Watch your Campus Cruiser email for details from the Office of Financial Aid.
WEBINAR: Drowning in Debt! What Law Students & Lawyers Need to Know about Managing Student Debt & Earning Loan Forgiveness -Thursday, October 20, 3:00pm. Presented by Equal Justice Works, the webinar will discuss how to use Public Service Loan Forgiveness, income-driven repayment plans, and loan repayment assistance programs to balance your law school debt on a public interest salary. Register
Additional Information & Web Links
We encourage you to review these sites and feel that you will find a pool of resources that will be helpful to you as a Suffolk University Law School graduate.
Individual Student Debt Repayment Information Specifically for Law School Graduates
Founded in 1983, Access Group is a nonprofit membership organization comprised of nearly 200 nonprofit and state-affiliated ABA-approved law schools. From providing financial education resources and services for students and schools, to supporting research programs and data collection, to driving policy advocacy, we work to promote broad access, affordability and the value of legal education specifically, and graduate and professional education more broadly.
• Access Assist-Access Assist® is the first service of its kind to provide free, on-demand, one-to-one student loan repayment and financial aid information to graduate and professional students, and recent grads. Whether by phone, e-mail, live chat feature, borrowers seeking guidance on financing their education, managing student loan repayment, understanding the complexities of repayment plans, or other student loan questions have the ability to get answers from our expert Access Assist Service Representatives – personal, confidential and 100% free.
Equal Justice Works
Career & Student Debt Information for Lawyers
The mission of Equal Justice Works is to create a just society by mobilizing the next generation of lawyers committed to equal justice. We provide leadership to ensure a sustainable pipeline of talented and trained lawyers are involved in public service. Equal Justice Works provides a continuum of programs that begin with incoming law school students and extend into later careers in the profession. We provide the nation’s leading public interest law fellowship program and offer more postgraduate, full-time legal positions in public service than any other organization including:
A Comprehensive Financial Literacy Program
Suffolk University Law School has teamed up with SALT to offer a comprehensive financial literacy program, brought to you in partnership with the Office of Student Financial Assistance and American Student Assistance (ASA). After working with millions of student borrowers, American Student Assistance (ASA) combined 50+ years of knowledge and best practices into a powerful program called SALT. Today, there are 259 participating schools nationwide and over 1,000,000 active members! SALT is designed to empower students and alumni to confidently approach, manage and pay back their student loans and gain financial skills for life. SALT offers a comprehensive continuum of service from education financing through successful loan repayment.
SALT offers services built around YOU- before, during and after school:
- Well-timed, neutral financial education resources, advice, and self-paced courses designed from your point of view
- Live one-on-one counseling by trained advisers who can answer your questions objectively and advocate on your behalf
- Easy-to-use tools that help you monitor and manage your loans and payments online
- Help in finding jobs, internships and scholarships
To get started, please register at SALT Money.
In the News
A selection on articles on student loans, debt, financial literacy and other items of interest.