This animal law guide focuses on web resources with links to web sites, legislation, statutes, and recent law review articles. The Suffolk University Moakley Law Library has many animal law materials in the treatises section on the 5th floor and in the reference collection on the 6th floor. Be sure to consult the Library's online catalog for more detail.
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals http://www.aspca.org/
- Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALFD) http://www.aldf.org/
- Animal Rights Coalition, USA http://www.arc-usa.org/
- Animal Welfare Institute http://www.awionline.org/
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York - Committee on Legal Issues Pertaining to Animals http://www.abcny.org/
- Farm Sanctuary http://www.farmsanctuary.org/ (farm animal sanctuaries)
- The Humane Society of the United States http://www.hsus.org/
- International Institute for Animal Law http://www.animallawintl.org/
- National Animal Interest Alliance http://www.naiaonline.org/
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) http://www.peta.org/
- Rutgers University School of Law Animal Rights Law Project http://www.animal-law.org/
- Society for Animal Protection Legislation http://www.saplonline.org/
- State Bar of Michigan -- Animal Law Section http://www.michbar.org/
MASSACHUSETTS WEB SITES
- Boston College Law School - Student Animal Legal Defense Fund (for more information, contact email@example.com)
- Greyhound Protection League-MA http://www.greyhounds.org/
- Harvard Law School - Student Animal Legal Defense Fund http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/saldf/
- Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (MSPCA) http://www.mspca.org/
- MSPCA - Massachusetts Legislative Scorecard http://www.mspca.org/
- MSPCA - Bills Affecting Animals in the Massachusetts Legislature http://www.mspca.org/
- Western New England College - Student Animal Legal Defense Fund (for more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- H. 1187 (To end the use of steel -jawed leghold traps on animals in the United States.)
- H. Con. Res. 175 (Humane Slaughter Act Resolution)
- H.R. 643 (Reauthorization of the African Elephant Conservation Act)
- H.R. 645 (Reauthorization of Rhinoceros and Tiger Conservation Act)
- H.R. 700 (Reauthorization of the Asian Elephant Conservation Act)
- H.R. 1421, S. 267 (Downed Animal Protection Act)
- H.R. 2330 (Increased funding for inspection and enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act)
- H.R. 3464 (Captive Exotic Animal Protection Act of 2001)
- H. R. 3781 (American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act) (Feb. 14, 2002)
- S. 1125 (Bear Protection Act of 2001)
- S. 1191 (Leahy - Fitzgerald Forced Molting Amendment)
- S. 1478 (Puppy Protection Act of 2001)
- S. 1628 (Farm Bill) (Measures to Prevent Cockfighting and Protect Downed Animals)
- Ch. 272 Section 104 (An Act Requiring the Posting of Security for the Seizure and Impoundment of Animals Relating to Cruelty to Animals or Animal Fighting .)
- Ch.272 Sec. 80G (An Act Relative to Dissection Choice)
- 7 USC § 1901--1906 (Humane Methods of Slaughter Act of 1978)
- 7 USC § 2131-2156 (Animal Welfare Act)
- 15 USC § 1821-1831 (Horse Protection Act)
- 16 USC § 1331 (Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act)
- 16 USC § 1361 (Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972)
- 16 USC § 1385 (Dolphin Protection Consumer Information Act)
- 16 USC § 1531 (Endangered Species Act of 1973)
- 16 USC § 6301 (Great Ape Conservation)
- 42 USC § 283e (Plan for use of animals in research)
- 49 USC § 41721 (Reports by carriers on incidents involving animals during air transport)
- 49 USC § 80502 (Transportation of animals)
Massachusetts General Laws:
- Chapter 129
§ 9 - Massachusetts Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals; Animal Rescue League of Boston; agents; powers and duties
- Chapter 131
§ 5C - Obstruction or interference with lawful taking of fish or wildlife
§ 80A - Leghold traps and certain other devices restricted; punishment.
- Chapter 266
§ 112 - Domestic animals; malicious killing or injury
- Chapter 272
§ 77 - Cruelty to animals.
§ 80A - Cropping or cutting off ear of dog.
§ 80C - Taking cat, dog or bird to exhibit it, subject it to experimentation or mutilation, or to sell it for such purposes; application of law.
§ 80D - Living rabbits, baby chickens, ducklings or other fowl; sale, barter or gift.
§ 80F- Giving away live animal as prize or reward.
§ 80H - Motor Vehicles; striking, injuring or killing dogs or cats.
§ 85A - Injuring, taking away or harboring domesticated animals or birds; removal of dog license tag, collar, or harness; imitation tag.
§ 88 -- Complaints and warrants relative to fighting animals; searches; arrests.
§ 89 - Exhibition place of fighting animals; entry without warrant; arrests; seizure of animals.
§ 94 - Owning, possessing or training fighting animals; establishing or promoting exhibitions.
RECENT LAW REVIEW ARTICLES
- Anderson, Jonathan. Recent events affecting the international ivory trade. Colo. J. Int'l Envtl. L. & Pol'y 71 (2000). (WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Dryden, Arnie J. Comment. Overcoming the inadequacies of animal cruelty statutes and the property-based view of animals. 38 Idaho L. Rev. 177-212 (2001). (WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Duckler, Geordie L. Nature of the beast: is animal law nipping at your heels? 61-JUN Or. St. B.Bull. 15 (2001).(WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Finigan, Alicia. 2000 legislative review. 7 Animal L. 145 (2001).(WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Francione, Gary L. Animals, property, and legal welfarism: "Unnecessary" suffering and the "humane" treatment of animals. 46 Rutgers L. Rev. 721 (1994). (WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Garrison, Jane. A call to attorneys: brainstorming to help captive elephants. 16 Pace Envtl. L. Rev. 133 (1998).(WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Hall, Lee. Introduction to animal rights: your child or the dog? 34 Suffolk U. L. Rev. 83 (2000) (WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Hannah, Harold W. Animals as property: changing concepts. 25 S. Ill. U. L. J. 571 (2001).(WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Kolber, Adam. Note. Standing upright: the moral and legal standing of humans and other apes. 54 Stan. L.Rev. 163-204 (2001). (WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Livingston, Margit. Desecrating the Ark: animal abuse and the law's role in prevention. 87 Iowa L. Rev. 1-73 (2001). (WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Lockwood, Randall. Animal cruelty and violence against humans: Making the connection. 5 Animal Law 81 (1999). (WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Madeline, Beth Ann. Comment. Cruelty to animals: recognizing violence against nonhuman victims. 23 U. Hawaii L. Rev. 307-339 (2000).(WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Mosel, Amy. Comment. What about Wilbur? Proposing a federal statute to provide minimum humane living conditions for farm animals raised for food production. 27 U. Dayton L. Rev. 133-187 (2001). (WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Rivkin, Victoria. Animal law practitioners seek justice, Not dollars. 222 N.Y. L. J., 1 (1999). (WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Root, William C. Note. "Man's best friend": property or family member? An examination of the legal classification of companion animals and its impact on damages recoverable for their wrongful death or injury. 47 Vill. L. Rev. 423-451 (2002). (WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Uralde, Jimena. Comment. Congress' failure to enact animal welfare legislation for the rearing of farm animals: what is truly at stake? 9 U. Miami Bus. L. Rev. 193-216 (2001). (WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Winters, Heather D. Comment. Updating Ohio's animal cruelty statute: how human interests are advanced. 29 Cap. U. L. Rev. 857-885 (2002). (WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Arluke, Arnold. Physical cruelty toward animals in Massachusetts 1975-1996. Psychologists for the Ethical treatment of animals (PSYETA) (visited October 19, 2010) http://www.animalsandsociety.org/assets/library/358_s533.pdf
- Frasso, Paula J. The Massachusetts anti-cruelty statute: a real dog - a proposal for a re-draft of the current law. 35 New Eng. L. Rev. 1003 (2001).(WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- Jackson, Erin N. Dead dog running: the cruelty of greyhound racing and the bases for its abolition in Massachusetts. Comment. 7 Animal L. 175 (2001).(WESTLAW) (LEXIS)
- SUPREME COURT CASES
- Babbitt v. Sweet Home Chapter of Communities for Great Oregon, 515 U.S. 687 (1995)
- Bennett v. Spear, 520 U.S.154 (1997)
- Church of The Lukumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah, 508 U.S. 520 (1993) (Regulation of Slaughtering)
- Japan Whaling Association v. American Cetacean Society, 478 U.S. 221 (1986)
- Lujan v. Defenders of Wildlife 504 U.S. 555 (1992)
- Robertson v. Seattle Audubon Society, 503 U.S. 429 (1992)
- Tennessee Valley Authority v. Hill, 437 U.S. 153 (1978)
To access any of the following cases, go to (WESTLAW) or (LEXIS)
- What constitutes offense of cruelty to animals - modern cases, 6 A.L.R. 5th 733 (1992).
- Animal research at Universities - Medlock v. Board of Trustees of University of Massachusetts, 580 N. E. 2d 387, 31 Mass App. Ct. 495, review denied 586 N.E. 2d 10, 411 Mass. 1105 (1991).
- Excessive Barking - Com. V. Ferreri, 572 N.E. 2d 585, 30 Mass App. Ct. 966 (1991).
- Giving away live animal as prize or reward - Knox v. Massachusetts Soc. for Protection of Cruelty to Animals, 425 N. E. 2d 393 (1981).
- Jaw traps - Massachusetts Soc. for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals V. Division of Fisheries and Wildlife 651 N.E.2d 388 (1995).
- Motorist Negligence - Cousins v. Cummings, 127 N.E. 2d 180; 332 Mass. 649 (1955).
- Nuisance by reason of vicious disposition - Culinane v. Board of Selectmen of Maynard, 742 N.E. 2d 83; 50 Mass App. Ct. 851 (2001).
- Pit Bull Ordinance - American Dog Owners Association, Inc. v. City of Lynn, 533 N.E. 2d 642; 404 Mass 73 (1989).
- Scientific Experiments - Massachusetts Soc. for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals v. Commissioner of Public Health 158 N.E. 2d 487 (1959).
- Searches and Seizures - Com. V. Hurd, 743 N.E.2d 841; (2001).
- Veal - Animal Legal Defense Fund Boston v. Provimi Veal Corp., 626 F. Supp. 278, affirmed 802 F. 2d 440 (1986).
FEDERAL CIRCUIT CASES
To access any of the following cases, go to (WESTLAW) or (LEXIS)
- Animal Welfare Institute v. Kreps, 561 F. 2d 1002 (1977)
- Animal Legal Defense Fund v. Espy, 23 F. 3d 496 (1994)
- Animal Legal Defense Fund v. Glickman, 154 F. 3d 426 (1998)
- Animal Lovers Volunteer Association, Inc. v. Weinberger, 765 F. 2d 937 (1985)
- Committee for Humane Legislation v. Richardson, 540 F. 2d 1141 (1976)
- Crowder v. Kitagawa, 81 F. 3d 1480 (1996)
- Dehart v. Town of Austin, 39 F. 3d 718 (1994)
- Dorman v. Satti, 862 F. 2d 432 (1988)
- Fallini v. Hodel, 963 F. 2d 275 (1992)
- Haviland v. Butz, 543 F. 2d 169 (1976)
- Hoctor v. U.S. Department of Agriculture, 82 F. 3d 165 (1996)
- Humane Society of the United States v. Hodel, 840 F. 2d 45 (1988)
- Marine Mammal Conservancy, Inc. v. Department of Agriculture, 134 F. 3d 409 (1998)
- Toney v. Glickman, 101 F. 3d 1236 (1996)
- United States v. Mitchell, 553 F. 2d 996 (1977)
- Animal Law (LAW - LAW PERIODIALS 7TH FLOOR)
- Animal Rights: A Reference Handbook. Clifford J. Sherry, Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO,1994, 240 pp. (This is an electronic book, accessible via the World Wide Web. See Library Catalog for details.)
- Animal Rights: A Subject Guide, Bibliography, and Internet Companion. John M. Kistler, Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2000, 227 pp. Z7164.C45 K57 2000 (LAW - TREATISES 5TH FLOOR)
- The Animal Rights Movement in the United States, 1975-1990 : An Annotated Bibliography. Bettina Manzo, Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1994. 296 pp. HV4724 .M46 1994 (LAW - REFERENCE 6TH FLOOR)
- Encyclopedia of Animal Rights and Animal Welfare. Marc Bekoff, Carron A. Meaney, eds., Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 1998, 446 pp. HV4708 .E53 1998 (LAW - REFERENCE 6TH FLOOR)
- The Guide to Animal Law Resources. Cambridge, MA : Harvard Student Animal Legal Defense Fund, 1999, 41 pp. KF3841 .G85 1999 (LAW - REFERENCE 6TH FLOOR)
For a more complete list of Treatises, visit the Library Catalog
- Animal Law. Pamela D. Frasch , et al., Durham, N.C. : Carolina Academic Press, 2000, 780 pp. KF390.5.A5 A85 2000 (LAW - TREATISES 5TH FLOOR)
- Animals and The Law: A Sourcebook. Jordan Curnutt, Pub info Santa Barbara, Calif. : ABC-CLIO, 2001, 591 pp. KF390.5.A5 C87 2001 (LAW - TREATISES 5TH FLOOR)
- Animals, Property, and The Law. Gary L. Francione, Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1995, 349pp. KF3841 .F73 1995 (LAW -TREATISES 5TH FLOOR)
- Law Relating to Animals. Simon Brooman, Debbie Legge, London;Sydney: Cavendish, 1997, 462 pp. K3620.B76 1997 (LAW - TREATISES 5TH FLOOR)
- Rattling the Cage: Toward Legal Rights for Animals. Steven M. Wise, Cambridge, Mass.: Perseus Books, 2000, 362 pp. HV4708 .W57 2000 (LAW - TREATISES 5th FLOOR)
- Unleashing Rights: Law, Meaning, and The Animal Rights Movement. Helena Silverstein, Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1996, 300 pp. HV4708 .S555 1996 (LAW -TREATISES 5TH FLOOR)