The Adams Gallery at Suffolk University hosts The Preservation Movement Then and Now from Dec. 14, 2009, through March 15, 2010, in honor of Historic New England’s centennial in 2010.
The exhibition, organized by Historic New England, traces the history of the preservation movement in New England. The catalyst: an unsuccessful effort in 1863 to save the Hancock House, which was built in 1737 on Beacon Hill. It later was home to patriot John Hancock, he of the famous signature.
The Preservation Movement Then and Now highlights other areas in New England preservation as well. There is a section on one of the first preservationists, William Sumner Appleton, founder of the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities (now Historic New England). Appleton realized that many early New England buildings were disappearing, and he was concerned that few would survive.
In addition to panels describing the relationship of the Hancock House to the preservation movement, the exhibit employs photographs, artifacts, and online access to Historic New England collections to illustrate the organization’s continuing efforts to make the region’s heritage available and enjoyable to all.