The following policies pertain to students in CAS and the SBS
- In order to borrow a laptop, a patron must be a student or faculty of the College of Arts and Sciences, the Sawyer Business School, or NESAD and be a borrower in good standing.
- Laptops may not leave Sawyer Library. There are no exceptions.
- Patrons are responsible for laptops loaned to them at all times. Therefore, laptops should not be left unattended.
- Patrons will be charged for any damage to a laptop loaned to them beyond normal wear and tear.
- Patrons are forbidden to attempt to change any program or setting on a borrowed laptop or download any software or applications. Patrons noticing a hardware or software problem should report it immediately to Circulation Staff. Otherwise, they may be liable for the damage.
- There is no time limit on laptops, but they must be returned 30 minutes prior to closing.
Group Study Rooms:
- The Sawyer Library has group study rooms available for use by students attending the College of Arts and Sciences, the Sawyer Business School, or NESAD.
- Several four-seat study rooms are available on a first come, first served basis.
- All six-seat study rooms require a reservation.
- Reserve a study room using the “Book a Group Study Room” link on the library’s home page. Reservations may be made for up to two hours per day per student. Reservations are accepted up to two weeks in advance. Rooms may not be reserved for a full day. Group study rooms may not be used as office or classroom space. In order to maximize library space, rooms must be in continuous group use. At least one person must be present in the room at all times. If a lone occupant is asked, they must be able to produce another occupant within 10 minutes.
- Rooms found dark will be considered to be abandoned.
- Rooms are not soundproof. Respect other library patrons by keeping noise to a minimum.
- If one person is occupying a 4 seat study room, a group may ask that person to leave.
- Groups take precedence in study room use Course Reserves:
- Required textbooks for each course are placed on reserve under the Course # and Instructor Name.
- Course reserves may be checked out for two hours.
- At the end of the two hour limit, return the book to the circulation desk, if no one else is waiting you may be allowed to renew the reserve.
- Course reserves are for in-library use only and a valid, current Suffolk University ID is required, and on rare occasions, other ID may be accepted.
- Failure to return a reserve book may result in your account being blocked for 7 days.
- A second offense will result in a semester long suspension of borrowing privileges on reserve materials.
- The patron will be charged for any damage done to reserve materials.
- Be courteous to others.Return reserve materials after two hours so that others may use them also. If you would like to renew a reserve, you must go to the Circulation Desk to make sure no one is waiting for the reserve material.
Circulating Library Books:
- Books shelved in the general stacks on the 4th floor may be borrowed for 28 days, plus three (3) renewals.
- To borrow books, you must have a valid Suffolk ID. You may borrow an unlimited number of circulating books.
- Due dates are indicated on the receipt printed at the end of your transaction. Library privileges may be restricted if items are not returned on time. Use the online catalog to identify the books Sawyer library owns, and to renew books you have already checked out.
- If your account becomes restricted you have the following options in order to restore your access to library resources. You may return your overdue materials in person to the Circulation Desk at Sawyer Library. Upon check in, your access to library resources will be restored. You may purchase replacements for your overdue materials. Replacement copies must be in good condition and of the same edition as the missing material. Please deliver replacement material to the main Circulation Desk at Sawyer Library. Once the replacement is accepted, restrictions on your library account will be cleared. You may pay for the replacement of missing materials plus a $50 fee per item. The cost of replacement is based on the retail, non-discounted price listed on Amazon.com. Payment will be accepted at the Circulation Desk.
- The Library has Kindles available for checkout.
- Each Kindle can be borrowed for 28 days, and may be eligible for up to three (3) renewals.
- One eBook may be downloaded onto the Kindle with your first checkout, granted we do not already own a physical copy of the book.
Other Items Available for Checkout Include:
- Two Hour Checkout: USBs, Group Study Room Supplies
- All Day Checkout: Phone chargers (iPhone and Android), USB Mice, Noise Cancelling Headphones, Headphones
At Closing Time: