The J-1 Exchange Visitor status facilitates scholars, researchers and professors to come to the United States for temporary periods for the purpose of educational exchange. Any international visitor who has sufficient academic training to benefit from an academic or professional program at a U.S. college or university may be eligible for this status. Exchange visitors can be invited for a period of a few weeks up to five years.

J-1 visa status is not an appropriate fit for tenured or tenure-track positions.