The visa stamp in your passport issued by a U.S. consulate does not determine how long you can remain in the United States. Therefore, you may stay in the U. S. beyond the expiration date of a visa as long as the Immigration document (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019) remains valid. Once the visa expires it will be necessary to apply for a new visa stamp, through the same process as your initial visa application, at a U.S. embassy or consulate when traveling outside the United States. We recommend that you apply for your visa, or visa renewal, in your home country. As always, speak to an International Advisor with any questions prior to traveling. Visas cannot be renewed within the United States.

Expired Visas

If your U.S. visa stamp has expired and you travel outside the U.S., you must obtain a new visa before you return. Applying for a new visa usually requires several weeks, if not longer, and under proposed new guidelines, you will likely be required to do an interview for a visa renewal. Absences from class are not excused due to visa delays and therefore, we recommend waiting until the summer break to do this. If you are from one of the countries designated within the Executive Order (Libya, Syria, Iran, Yemen, Sudan or Somalia) please make sure to speak to an Advisor before making any travel plans. For detailed information on visa renewals, visit the U.S. Department of State website and review current information about applying for a U.S. visa.

Applying for a visa in a third country

We strongly encourage students to apply for a U.S. visa at the embassy or consulate closest to their home.  However, it may be possible for some international visitors to apply for a new visa in a country that is not their home country, or place of legal permanent residence. Before considering this, please make sure to speak with an International Advisor. You may also visit the U.S.Department of State website and review current information about applying for a U.S. visa as a “Third Country National.”