The most important piece to any program is the faculty leader. Your vision, academic expertise and passion to teach abroad are the key components to making your program a success. As the faculty leader, your role will be to teach and lead students, opening their eyes and minds to the new culture(s) they will explore.
Suffolk University seeks to develop cross-border programs of the highest quality that enhance the reputation of Suffolk University, and to further the interests of students, faculty, and staff who participate in these programs.
The academic content of the program is the responsibility of the faculty member, including the syllabus, book orders, classrooms, and lectures.
Travel and Logistical Arrangements
If no program provider or on-site coordinator is utilized to arrange program logistics (housing, in-country and local transportation, meals and excursions), it is your responsibility to make these arrangements. Students are responsible for booking their own airfare. Faculty should use a university credit card to purchase their flight. If a department credit card is not available, the business office is able to provide a temporary university credit card which can be used throughout the trip. This is highly recommended as it will reduce the need of currency conversions upon return as well as out of pocket cash expenses for the faculty leader. Faculty must participate in all planned group excursions per itinerary.
The above will be determined during your initial meeting with Hillary and CIPS.
You must provide a complete budget template for all academic and travel expenses. Invoices must be in English and must include a detailed description of services provided (i.e. room and board, additional meals, excursions, number of students per item). Suffolk University is willing to pay a deposit to the host institution to show a good faith effort and to hold reservations as needed. The faculty leader in coordination with the Study Abroad Office is responsible for consulting with host institutions to find if and when deposits are required. This information must then be communicated to the Dean’s Office. No prices can be advertised until the Center for International Programs and Services has approved them.
Please use this template when creating your trip budget: travel_budget.xlsx
Your budget will be created after you've received feedback on your proposal, and will need to be approved by CIPS and the University budget office.
It is important to follow the below steps before your departure:
- Meet all deadlines and supply all corresponding paperwork to the Center for International Programs and Services.
- Submit a final copy of the course syllabus to the Center for International Programs and Services.
- Attend the appropriate pre-departure orientation and organize at least one program specific pre-departure orientation which must include a review of our new international travel assistance provider given by the Office of Risk Management. Please check back for updates on our new international travel assistance provider.
- Register and ensure that all participating students are registered with our new international assistance provider. Please check back for updates on our new international travel assistance provider. Please note that both the travel and health care sections must be completed.
- Submit all local contact information and a phone tree of student emergency contact numbers to the Center for International Programs and Services at least two weeks prior to departure. Emergency numbers must include local equivalent of 911, nearest hospital/emergency number and address, US Embassy and/or Consular Office and the name, address, and local numbers of all accommodations.
- Present to the Center for International Programs and Services a report of the trip, including student evaluations
Marketing and Recruitment
Program-specific marketing and recruitment of students is one of your primary responsibilities. You should expect to promote your program to students and peers, visit classes, and create publications as needed. The Study Abroad Office will carry out general marketing and support you in this effort.