Hiring International Students

Suffolk University has a pool of bright and talented international students that can help to diversify and enhance any organization. Federal law allows international students multiple ways to work in the United States, both during and after their time as students, and this often does not require sponsorship by the employer. Suffolk's international students are regularly hired by U.S. employers throughout the country. 

For more information about hiring international students or immigration, you can contact the International Student Service Office (ISSO) directly.

Curricular Practical Training for Internships

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an employment option available to F-1 students when the practical training employment is considered to be an integral part of the curriculum or academic program. Undergraduate and graduate students can take part in paid or unpaid internships in the U.S. using CPT. The internship must be related to the student's field of study, but the only documentation required by an employer is a detailed offer letter.

Optional Practical Training for Employment

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment authorization that gives F-1 students an opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a practical work experience during or after their completion of studies. Students or graduates are granted 12 months of employment, although some who study in STEM fields can petition for up to 36 months. A graduate's position must be related to their field of study. Employers do not have to sponsor students who have approved OPT; only a detailed offer letter is required.

If an employer is interested in sponsoring an international graduate, they should consult with an immigration attorney for this process.