Jennifer Barber, MFA
Scholar in Residence, EnglishSend a Message
- MFA, Columbia University
- MA, Oxford University
- BA, Colby College
- Contemporary poetry and fiction
- 20th- and 21st-century literary journals
- American Literature
Founding Editor and Editor-in-Chief of Salamander: a magazine for poetry,fiction, & memoirs
Scholar-in-Residence, Suffolk University
Visiting Assistant Professor, Suffolk University
Visiting Assistant Professor, Wellesley College
Visiting Assistant Professor, Bradford College
Other Teaching and Publishing
- Creative Writing, Harvard Extension School
- Instructor of Creative Writing and Literature at the Brookline Adult & Community Education Program
- Publishing jobs include editing, production editing, and copyediting for a variety of organizations and publishers in Boston and New York, among them Longman Inc., Houghton Mifflin, Columbia University Publications Office, Warren, Gorham & Lamont, and the Harvard University Art Museums.
- Works on Paper, a poetry collection (The Word Works, 2016). Winner of the 2015 Tenth Gate Prize.
- Given Away, a poetry collection (Kore Press, 2012).
- Rigging the Wind, a poetry collection, received the 2002 Kore Press First Book Award (Kore Press, 2003).
- Poems have been published in a number of literary journals, including Harvard Divinity Bulletin, The New Yorker, Upstreet, Post Road, Field, Georgia Review, Poetry, Fulcrum, Shenandoah, Partisan Review, Harvard Review, The Journal, Heliotrope, Massachusetts Review, and Orion.
- As Editor: Salamander vol. 11.1 to present. Recent writers include ‘Gbenga Adeoba, Lucia Cherciu, Sharon Dolin, Jeffrey Harrison, Jessica Greenbaum, Anna Ross, Emily Tuszynska, Neha Chaudhary-Kamdar, Cady Vishniac, David Ferry, Sonya Larson, Keith Eisner, Lola Haskins, Tom Phan, Jill McDonough, Steve Trumpeter, Mary LaChapelle.
Awards & Honors
- Virginia Center for the Creative Arts Residency (2018)
- MacDowell Colony Fellowship (2017)
- Tenth Gate Prize (2015)
- Anna Davidson Rosenberg Award (2008)
- Heinrich Böll Cottage Residency (2008)
- St. Botolph Club Foundation Grants-in-Aid Award for Poetry and Poetry in Translation (2005)
- Pushcart Prize (2004)
- Bruce Rossley New Voices Award (1998)
- Vendaval, a selection of poems, appeared in Take Three: 3, Agni New Poets Series (Graywolf Press, 1998).
- Salamander has been the recipient of grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Massachusetts Cultural Council, the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses, Bradford College, and the Brookline Council on the Arts and Humanities.