Senior Project Specialist
Linda Akuamoah-Boateng (MHA '08) works for Massachusetts General Hospital in quality and patient safety.
She provides overall support for initiatives to improve work processes; guides and monitors performance; and collects, analyzes, and disseminates data to improve safety and quality and ensure regulatory compliance.
Her career advice to students is “Seek opportunities to showcase your skills.” Even applying for fellowships can introduce you to healthcare executives.
Experience is vital. “You have to prove you can survive in the U.S. healthcare system,” she stresses. And, keep learning, as she does at Mass General and through ACHE, the National Patient Safety Foundation, and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement.
At ECG Management Consultants, Jennifer Bendfeldt (MHA ’11) specializes in healthcare information technology (IT). She oversees the ambulatory IT department and the implementation of electronic health records across multiple specialties.
She has helped clients with strategic IT planning, process improvement, project management, patient engagement, employee management and staffing, and vendor selection and vendor relations projects. In particular, she has helped clients successfully participate in government incentive and regulatory programs, including meaningful use (MU), patient-centered medical home (PCMH), accountable care organizations (ACO), and Physician Quality Reporting Systems (PQRSs). She often serves as the conduit between clients and vendors to ensure that the systems are meeting the operational and functional needs of the organizations.
"I really appreciate the project variety and exposure to organizations on a national level. It is interesting to learn about the different nuances in markets and state regulations that organizations must comply with. I also really enjoy meeting new people at client sites and building relationships with them. I come away from every project with new knowledge and a better appreciation of the industry as a whole, which not something you would get with a traditional industry job," she says.
President and CEO
As President and CEO of Mount Auburn Hospital, Jeanette Clough, MHA '96, oversees a $400 million annual budget and guides 3,000 staff and 1,000 physicians and residents. Clough transformed Mount Auburn from a fiscally ailing institution into one of financial stability, while improving safety and quality, as well as patient and employee satisfaction.
Clough credits her success in part to her Suffolk experience. “Suffolk’s blend of public administration, health administration, and business courses mirror the conditions under which I now practice,” says Clough, who is also a board member of the American Hospital Association. Since graduating, Clough has remained a valued guest lecturer and adviser to the program, as well as a Suffolk University Trustee.
Timothy Lynch (MBA/Health 2007) is responsible for the overall operations for six outpatient practices and works with more than 75 physicians and trainees in the Department of Neurology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
“While I don’t provide care to patients, I do help make that care possible. And at the end of the day, I really feel good about what I’ve done,” says Lynch.
VP of Quality, Compliance & Regulatory Affairs
Karen Nelson, MPA/Health ’87, has an extensive background in leading healthcare organizations. At Partners Continuing Care, she promotes a corporate culture that fosters ethical business behavior and ensures compliance with laws and regulatory requirements. She works with PCC management and quality leaders across the four hospitals, two skilled nursing facilities, 23 outpatient sites, and the home-care agency to bring standardization and best practices to the measurement, improvement and sustainment of patient and organizational quality outcomes.
At Suffolk, you’re more than just a student. You’re part of a professional community.
You have access to an expansive network of healthcare leaders, and we help you build lasting connections with people who matter.
The American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) has more than 40,000 members worldwide, ranging from experienced healthcare executives to students who are new to the field. ACHE's established network of more than 80 chapters provides access to networking, education and career development at the local level. As an ACHE member, you’ll be automatically enrolled in the Massachusetts chapter, which has over 700 members.
You’ll have access to scholarships, fellowships, internships, career-development resources, and industry events, including the Congress on Healthcare Leadership in Chicago. The ACHE Early Careerist Network also provides social, networking, educational, and mentoring opportunities geared specifically toward students and junior healthcare executives.
The Institute of Healthcare Improvement is a small organization with a big mission: to improve the quality of healthcare. Our student members have attended major conferences, including the IHI Annual National Forum on Quality Improvement in Health Care. The chapter has also organized guest talks from distinguished leaders, including former Senior Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts and IHI board member Vinod Sahney.
MHA Achievement and Placement Statistics
The MHA Program has both full-time and part-time students. Full-time students typically finish their degrees within two years, whereas part-time students finish in three to five years, depending on how many courses they take each semester. It is important to note that students have withdrawn from the MHA Program for a variety of reasons, including deciding to pursue different career paths and being accepted into advanced dental training programs.
In Fall 2010, 26 students started in the MHA Program—10 full-time and 16 part-time—and 23 students (88.46%) have graduated.
In Spring 2011, 9 students started in the MHA Program—3 full-time and 6 part-time—and 6 students (67%) have graduated.
In Fall 2011, 24 students started in the MHA Program—10 full-time and 14 part-time—and 19 students (79%) have graduated.
In Spring 2012, 19 students started in the MHA Program—4 full-time and 15 part-time—and 14 students (74%) have graduated. One of the original 19 students is still completing her degree requirements.
In Fall 2012, 29 students started in the MHA Program—15 full-time and 14 part-time—and 24 students (83%) have graduated. One of the original 29 students is still completing her degree requirements.
In Spring 2013, 10 students started in the MHA Program—2 full-time and 8 part-time—and 8 students (80%) have graduated. One of the original 10 students is still completing her degree requirements.
In Fall 2013, 26 students started in the MHA Program—8 full-time and 18 part-time—and 18 students (69%) have graduated. One of the original 26 students is still completing his degree requirements.
In Spring 2014, 8 students started in the MHA Program—4 full-time and 4 part-time—and 4 students (50%) have graduated. One of the original 8 students is still completing her degree requirements.
In Fall 2014, 33 students started in the MHA Program—16 full-time and 17 part-time—and 23 students (70%) have graduated. Four of the original 33 students are still completing their degree requirements.
In Spring 2015, 10 students started in the MHA Program—6 full-time and 4 part-time—and 6 students (60%) have graduated. Three of the original 10 students are still completing their degree requirements.
In Fall 2015, 24 students started in the MHA Program—10 full-time and 14 part-time—and 11 students (46%) have graduated. Eleven of the original 24 students are still completing their degree requirements.
NOTE: Students who enrolled in Spring 2016 and afterward have not yet graduated.
In 2013-2015, 88 MHA students earned their degrees. Seventy-six, or 86%, were employed in healthcare when they graduated. Five others, or 6%, were employed in healthcare within three months of graduation. Two were returning to their home countries to seek employment in healthcare, one was applying to PhD programs, one was attending to her young child, and four did not have employment in healthcare within three months of graduation.
In 2013, 34 students earned their MHA degrees, and 79% were employed in healthcare at the time of graduation. An additional 9% were employed in healthcare within three months of graduation. Total employment of the 2013 graduates in healthcare was 88% within three months of graduation.
In 2014, 31 students earned their MHA degrees, and 94% were employed in healthcare at the time of graduation and an additional person, or 3%, was employed in healthcare within three months of graduation. Total employment of the 2014 graduates in healthcare was 97% within three months of graduation.
In 2015, 23 students earned their MHA degrees, and 87% were employed in healthcare at the time of graduation. An additional person, representing 4%, was employed in healthcare within three months of graduation. Total employment of the 2015 graduates in healthcare was 91% within three months of graduation.
In 2016-2017, 66 MHA students earned their degrees, and 51 (77%) were employed in healthcare when they graduated. The others have pursued different paths and some were not able to secure employment in healthcare within three months after graduation, as described below.
In 2016, 36 students earned their MHA degrees, and 28 (78%) of them were employed in healthcare at the time of graduation. Two graduates (5.5%) were employed outside of healthcare within three months of graduation. Two graduates (5.5%) were employed in healthcare within four months of graduation. One graduate (3%) started advanced dental training after graduation, and three graduates (8%) were not employed in healthcare for several months after graduation. Two of those graduates are from India and require visa sponsorship. Total employment of the 2016 graduates in healthcare was 83% within four months of graduation.
In 2017 (this includes January and May graduates), 30 students earned their MHA degrees, and 23 (77%) were employed in healthcare at the time of graduation. One graduate (3%) is entering a second master’s degree program at Suffolk University in September 2017. One graduate (3%) continued his work as the marketing director for a consultancy and education organization that does not focus on healthcare. Five graduates did not have employment three months after graduation and they are all from India, so they all require visa sponsorship.
- Accenture PLC
- Atrius Health
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Beth Israel Deaconess-Milton Hospital
- Blackstone Valley Community Healthcare
- Boston Children’s Hospital
- Boston Children’s Cancer and Blood Disorders Center
- Boston Medical Center
- Bowdoin Street Health Center
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital
- Cambridge Health Alliance
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Codman Square Health Center
- Country Club Heights
- Coventry Health Care
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- ECG Management Consultants
- Element Care
- Greater Lynn Senior Services
- Hallmark Health Systems
- Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates
- Healthcentric Advisors
- International Medical Center-Jeddah
- Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare (JHAH)
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Centre
- King Hamad University Hospital
- Lahey Health
- Lahey Physician Community Organization
- Long Term Solutions
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Massachusetts General Physicians Organization
- Massachusetts Medical Society
- Massachusetts Mental Health Center
- Milford Hospital
- Mystic Valley Elder Services
- Mount Auburn Hospital
- Neighborhood Health Plan
- New England Baptist Hospital
- New England OB-GYN Associates, Inc.
- New England Quality Care Alliance
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital
- Partners Healthcare System, Inc.
- Partners HealthCare at Home
- Partners Research Management
- Saint Mary’s Hospital
- Santa Cruz Community Health Centers
- South Boston Community Health Center
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
- Steward Health Care System
- The Dimock Center
- The Stone Institute
- Tufts Health Plan
- Tufts Health Plan – Network Health
- Tufts Medical Center
- Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
- US Department of Veterans Affairs
- UMass Memorial Medical Center
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- Wentworth Douglas Hospital Seacoast Cancer Center
- Whittier Street Health Center