Richard P. Preiss, PhD
Department of Communication and Journalism
Office: Somerset Building, Rm. 414A
Fall 2018 Office Hours
10:30 AM - 11:30 AM Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays
- PhD, Syracuse University
- MA, Syracuse University
- BA, Syracuse University
Selected Scholarly Activities
Professional Media Activities
- Accredited with full-season media credentials to the Boston Bruins.
- Accredited with full-season media credentials to the Boston Celtics.
- Have covered both teams in a media capacity since the start of the 1991-1992 season.
- Accredited with media credentials to the Stanley Cup Final in 2011 and 2013.
- Accredited with media credentials to the 2008 and 2010 NBA Finals.
- Accredited with media credentials to both the 2004 and 2015 men’s NCAA Division 1 Frozen Four Hockey National Championships at TD Garden.
- Accredited with media credentials to the annual Beanpot Hockey Tournament at TD Garden. Have covered the tournament since the early 1990s.
- Accredited with media credentials to the annual Hockey East Championships at TD Garden. Have covered the event since the early 1990s.
- Accredited with event-long media credentials to both the 2001 and 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships at TD Garden.
- Accredited with event-long media credentials to the 2016 World Figure Skating Championship at TD Garden.
- Accredited with event-long media credentials to five Masters Golf Tournaments.
- Accredited with event-long media credentials to numerous U.S. Opens, U.S. Senior Opens, U.S. Women’s Opens and PGA Championships. Have also been accredited to a variety of PGA Tour and Senior PGA Tour competitions.
- Game Day Staff Member—Syracuse University football press box. Have been a member of the game day staff for over 30 years.
Honors and Awards
- Named “Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year” by the Suffolk University Evening Division Student Association for the 1982-1983 academic year.
- Nominated for “Outstanding CAS Faculty Member of the Year” by the Suffolk University Student Government Association for the 2009-2010 academic year.
- Presented with a Certificate of Achievement by the Suffolk University Athletic Department and the Great Northeast Athletic Conference on March 25, 2014 for “providing a heightened learning experience at Suffolk University.”
Suffolk Service Activities
- Director of the Suffolk University Greater Boston High School Newspaper Contest since 1988.
- Member of the CAS Academic Standing Committee since 1982.
- Member of the University Calendar Committee.
- CJN 112 Journalism 1
- CJN 114 Great Works of Journalism
- CJN 258 Sports Public Relations
- CJN 491 Special Topics in Communication and Journalism (Sports on Film)