The following grading system applies to all undergraduate students.

Letter Grade Honor Point Equivalent per Credit
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F 0.0

"A," "A – ," "B+," and "B" are honor grades.

"B – ," "C+," and "C" represent satisfactory work.

"C – ," "D+," "D," and "D – " represent passing but unsatisfactory work.

"F" is a failing grade. It indicates that the student has not completed all course requirements in a satisfactory manner. Students who stop attending a course without having complied with the official withdrawal procedure can anticipate receiving a grade of "F." The "F" grade becomes a permanent part of a student’s record and cannot be expunged even if the course is successfully retaken. An undergraduate student who violates the academic honesty policy is subject to an automatic grade of "F".

"I" (Incomplete) indicates a student has done passing work in a course but has not yet submitted all the outstanding work required for a formal evaluation. The "I" is awarded at the instructor’s discretion, only if the student has completed at least half of the course requirements satisfactorily at the end of the semester, and there is a reasonable expectation that all course requirements can be completed in one academic year. An "I" must be formally re-evaluated by the instructor within one academic year, resulting in an evaluation grade or an extension of the "I," or it automatically converts to an "F*."

Students must complete coursework with the original instructor. The change in the "I" grade must be made by the original instructor, and in his or her absence, by the department chair. If this is not possible, arrangements must be made through the department chair in concurrence with an assigned instructor.

"IP" (In Progress) can be issued where by nature of the course content the course may not be complete by the end of the term. IP grades automatically convert to an "F*" after one academic year.

"W" signifies official withdrawal from a course. A "W" is assigned administratively if a student:

  1. Drops a course, following proper university procedure, between the end of the drop/add period and the withdrawal deadline of the semester, or
  2. Drops a course or withdraws from school after the deadline of the semester with the written approval of the Students Affairs office. Permission is given only for valid cause such as debilitating illness, relocation, serious family crisis or other circumstances beyond the student’s control.

"AU" (Audit): In an audited course, a student will not receive credit or honor points; however, a student must pay the same tuition as if taking the course for credit. Under no circumstances may a student change from the evaluative letter grade system to audit or vice versa after the first two weeks of classes.

A student who audits a course is responsible for attending classes and completing required coursework.

"P" (Pass): A Pass-Fail option is available to students in lieu of a traditional letter grade subject to the following limitations and regulations:

Eligibility is restricted to students in good academic standing who have completed a minimum of 15 semester hours of coursework at Suffolk University. This option is limited to 12 credits per student. The pass/fail option is only applicable to elective and used for courses that fulfill specific degree, core, major or minor requirements. Students who are unsure as to whether a course is an elective for their specific program should check with the Undergraduate Academic Advising Center.

Students will designate courses as Pass-Fail after registration, but before the end of the course change period, by completing a Pass/Fail Declaration Request form. No changes from the designation of Pass-Fail to the letter grade system or vice versa are permitted after the course change period has elapsed at the opening of any semester or summer session. A Pass may be applied toward fulfilling degree credits, but may not be applied toward the quality point average.

Students planning to attend law school or other graduate schools should be aware that many professional and graduate schools prefer students to submit traditional letter grades.

"PC" (Pass/Credit) is awarded in courses successfully completed with a grade of "C" or better at an affiliated study abroad program or approved course work at a consortium institution after matriculation at Suffolk University. "PC" grades may be applied toward fulfilling degree credits, but they may not be applied toward the quality point average.

"NP" (No Pass) is awarded in courses unsuccessfully completed at an affiliated study abroad program or approved course work at a consortium institution after matriculation at Suffolk University. "NP" grades do not earn academic credit and are not applied toward the quality grade point average.

Courses officially dropped during the add/drop period will not appear on the student’s record.