Suffolk Summer School Tuition Rates
Tuition costs for the 2017 regular summer school program are charged per credit hour. Please visit the Office of the Bursar online for JD and LL.M. summer rates in addition to summer dual degree program charges.
Summer Federal Direct Loans
Students who are enrolled at least half-time (3 law school credits, or 6 graduate school credits if in a dual degree program) in summer school, a study abroad program, C.I.L.S. Summer Internship, or another law school are eligible to apply for federal loans.
Please note: Borrower-based academic year loans (BBAY) are awarded to eligible students who enroll in the summer. As two terms represent an annual loan period, a BBAY loan includes the summer and fall terms as one loan period, with the spring term starting a new loan period. Loans borrowed in the spring BBAY loan period are included in the following summer term when loan eligibility is being determined.
To apply, complete the 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the 2017 Summer Financial Aid Application (not yet available).
Students can apply for additional summer loan funding (Federal PLUS or private, alternative loan), if required at any time during their summer enrollment. However, to avoid loss of registration and/or to ensure that financial aid is awarded prior to the billing due date, all loan forms should be completed and submitted by April 15th. Forms submitted after April 15th will be processed in the order in which they are received. For detailed information on the financial aid application process, please visit
"Applying for Aid".
Summer Suffolk Public Interest Law Group (SPILG) FellowshipSPILG FAQ
SPILG is a student organization that supports the Summer Public Service Fellowship Program. Many public service employers cannot afford to pay for legal summer interns. The Federal Work Study Program pays 75% of the student’s wage, and the employer pays the remaining 25% plus FICA. If the agency is not able to contribute, then the SPILG funds make it possible for a student to work at a public service, non-profit, government agency. The SPILG Fellowship amount is $1,250, which is 25% of $5,000.
If you do not qualify for Federal Work Study, or you chose the SPILG Fellowship only, you will be given a stipend of $1,250 to support your summer activities. The stipend will be split into two equal payments, with one distributed in mid-May and the second distributed in early July.
Please note, if the SPILG Fellowship is combined with the Federal Work Study Award then the total award of $5,000.00 is considered and deducted from the Cost of Attendance for either the summer or next year. As a result, students may be eligible for lower amounts of financial aid during the 2016-17 academic year. Your federal loans will be reduced first. Please refer to the SPILG/FWS FAQs for more detailed information, or speak directly to the Office of Financial Aid.
You must apply for the SPILG Fellowship on Symplicity by March 9, 2016, 10:00am.
Summer Federal Work Study (FWS)
In order to receive a Summer Federal Work Study Award you must have financial need and be a current student in good academic standing. You must also plan to re-enroll at Suffolk University Law School for the upcoming year, or be enrolled at least half-time in the Summer Semester.
The financial aid counselor needs to review the 2017-18 and the 2016-17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 9, 2017 to determine your eligibility.
As in the case of students receiving SPILG and FWS funds, a Summer FWS award is considered part of a student’s financial aid package for the upcoming school year (2017-18). The $5000 FWS award will be subtracted from the Cost of Attendance and, therefore, students may be eligible for lower amounts of financial aid during the 2017-18 academic year. Your federal loans will be reduced first. Please refer to the SPILG/FWS FAQs for more detailed information, or speak directly to the Office of Financial Aid.
If you enroll in Summer 2017 courses, the $5000 FWS award will be deducted from the Summer 2017 Cost of Attendance and may result in a tuition balance due.
Please note, you cannot receive both academic credit and monetary compensation for your work. You will earn a wage of $14.00 per hour.