Six former student-athletes, an outstanding team and two legendary supporters are set to be inducted into the Suffolk University Athletics Hall of Fame this fall.
The Hall of Fame Class of 2015 will be honored at a luncheon and induction ceremony beginning at noon Saturday, Oct. 3, in Suffolk’s new 20 Somerset building.
“The members of the Suffolk Athletics Hall of Fame Class of 2015 are among the brightest stars in the history of our athletics program,” said Director of Athletics Cary McConnell. “Each of these tremendous individuals – and our celebrated team – are truly deserving of this honor. I congratulate all and thank them for their tremendous efforts on behalf of Suffolk University.”
The members of the Class of 2015 of the Suffolk University Athletics Hall of Fame are:
- 2007-08 Women’s Basketball Team, the first program to eclipse the 20-win plateau, reached the GNAC Championship contest and was selected to the ECAC Tournament
- Buzzy Borden – Baseball, a legendary hurler
- Jess Ferreira – Softball, two-time All-American and three-time GNAC Softball Player of the Year
- Jason Luisi – Men’s Basketball, NCAA Tournament Team and two-time GNAC selection
- Mike Maguire – Baseball, GNAC Player of the Year and two-time GNAC baseball champion
- Heather Orkney – Women’s Tennis standout
- Sheryl Scanlon – Women’s Basketball, the first Suffolk woman to score 1,000 points
- Larry Smith – Men’s Basketball, Rams supporter
- Michael Smith – Rams supporter
Suffolk Athletics will recognize the Smiths’ support and invaluable donations when the Regan Gymnasium basketball court is named the Larry and Michael Smith Court in fall 2015.
“Being inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame is the highest honor we can bestow on an individual or team and we felt that this honoree reflects the dedication and contributions Larry and Michael have made to Suffolk Athletics,” said McConnell. “We are proud of each honoree for not only what they accomplished during their playing days at Suffolk, but for how they continue to represent the University today. This year’s ceremony will be special.”
The Suffolk Athletics Hall of Fame honors and perpetuates the memory of athletes, friends, coaches, and supporters who performed and contributed at the highest level during and after their time at Suffolk University. Selection is based primarily on athletic accomplishments, integrity, sportsmanship, and character. Some are named to the Hall of Fame in recognition of their services and dedication to the University’s athletic program. The inductees are selected by a vote of a selection committee of Suffolk Athletics affiliates, including alumni and athletics administrators.
The Suffolk Athletics Hall of Fame, which held its first induction ceremony in 2007, has 35 members, including 27 individual student-athletes, five teams, and three special honorees.
Tickets to the luncheon and induction ceremony for the Class of 2015 are available online.