Suffolk Student Health Insurance (SSHIP)
Key Information & Details
Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA Blue Care Elect Preferred (PPO) Student Health Plan:
The Suffolk Student Health Insurance Plan (SSHIP) is offered through University Health Plans. Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), student health insurance coverage is being defined as a type of individual health insurance coverage that is provided as part of an agreement between an institution of higher education and a health insurance issuer, and provided to students (and their dependents) enrolled in that institution. Under ACA, in determining essential health benefits, each state selects an existing health plan as a benchmark to establish an “essential health benefits package.” The Suffolk Student Health Insurance Plan is compliant with the Massachusetts benchmark plan.
The “Essential Health Benefits” include:
- Ambulatory patient services, including outpatient day surgery and related anesthesia
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment
- Laboratory Services
- Emergency Services
- Prescription Drugs
- Preventive and wellness and chronic disease management
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care
- Maternity and newborn care
*For more information about policy coverage details, dates of coverage, and other information; visit UNIVERSITY HEALTH PLANS.