Permitted Appliances in All Student Rooms:
TVs, radios, clocks, stereos, fans, electric razors, hair dryers, refrigerators (not larger than 4 cubic feet), microwaves (not larger than 700 watts), heating pads, single serve coffee makers with no open coil, hot water heater with no open coil and irons (with automatic shutoff).
Permitted Appliances in Kitchens of Apartments at 10 West Street Only:
Toasters, toaster ovens and George Foreman (or similar) grills.
The use or possession of any of the following appliances is prohibited in all residence hall areas: any item used for cooking that has an open coil; hot pots; coffee pots/coffee makers; hot plates; electric fry pans; oil fryers; and space heaters.
The Department of Residence Life & Housing reserves the right to prohibit any appliance without advanced notice.
Residents are subject to fines assessed to a student’s account, confiscation of prohibited items, and/or are subject to disciplinary action for use or possession of prohibited items. Possession of a prohibited item may include any prohibited item that is found in your room, suite or apartment. The Department of Residence Life & Housing and/or SUPD may confiscate prohibited item(s). If Residence Life & Housing confiscates a prohibited item, residents may pick up by the item within fourteen (14) days of confiscation from the Residence Life & Housing Office in the residence hall where the item was confiscated. Residents must email the Resident Director or Graduate Resident Director to schedule a time to pick up their item(s). Residents may only pick up the item for the purpose of removing the item from the residence hall. Residents are responsible for any charges related to the confiscation of items, including, but not limited to, storage or transportation. All confiscated items that have been confiscated by Residence Life & Housing staff that are not picked up and/or taken home by the resident within 14 days of the confiscation may be disposed of. Residents who have prohibited items confiscated by SUPD should contact SUPD for information about the items.
The use or possession of the following items is prohibited within University housing:
- Use, possession, storage or charging of self-balancing battery powered devices or vehicles on University property such as, but not limited to, self-balancing motorized boards, hoverboards, Swagways, electric skateboards, self-balancing scooters, and Segways
- Posters/flyers/artwork, advertisements, decorations, and any other like materials may not be displayed in external facing windows and in public viewing areas (including windows and hallways) unless approved in advance by the Department of Residence Life & Housing.
- Amplifiers and DJ equipment Extension cords and multi-plug outlets (power strips with surge protectors are permitted)
- Exterior television or radio antennas, satellite dishes, or any object that protrudes from a window or attaches to the exterior of a residence halls
- Any device that is used to attach a TV to a wall or door
- Halogen, lava, neon signage or other high-intensity lamps
- Torchiere lamps, spider lamps, or any upward facing bowl lamp or light
- Live-cut trees and flammable decorations
- String lights (including holiday and rope lights)
- Incense and candles (lit and unlit)
- Tents or other enclosed coverings or room dividers
- Federal, state, university, local, or other signs including, but not limited to, street, directional, or crossing sign
- Waterbeds, hot tubs, pools, jacuzzis, and non-university-issued lofts and cinder blocks
- Weightlifting apparatus (exercise machines, pullup bars, barbells/ free weights over 25lbs, etc.)
- Electric blankets
- Non-university-issued furniture, including, but not limited to, personal mattresses, futons, upholstered or inflatable furniture, desks and dressers
- Objects that attach to or cover any part of a ceiling or cover more than 50 percent of a single wall or door (including large tapestries)
Students are also encouraged to review the Alcohol and Drug Policy, Weapons Policy, Smoking Policy, Animals and Pets Policy and others that may detail other prohibited items in the residence halls and/or University property.