Note: The inaugural class of the Professional Certificate in Restorative Justice Practices will now enroll in July 2021 and applications will open later this summer.
Schools and criminal justice agencies are increasingly hiring restorative justice specialists to oversee and coordinate the implementation of restorative practices within their organization. As a skills-based applied program, the RJP certificate program equips graduates to practice, train, and lead restorative work in their chosen field.
Restorative Justice is a profound understanding about justice and its essential importance to the healthy functioning of individuals, families, communities, organizations, and systems. The program blends skill and facilitation development with theoretical, cultural, and spiritual understandings and strategies for organizational change, implementation, and sustainability. The curriculum is designed to develop skills and application of content through hands-on experience in the field in a 3-month practicum.
Certification in Restorative Justice Practices enhances the professional skills for those currently working in education, social work, legal advocacy, social justice, and juvenile or adult criminal justice. Upon completion of the Certificate in Restorative Justice Practices, participants will be equipped with the theoretical understanding, practical knowledge, and leadership skills to advocate, develop, implement, and lead restorative justice practices and programs.
- Two-week intensive residency at Suffolk University in Summer 2021
- Online Course Options
- Restorative Justice Practice in Education
- Restorative Justice Practice in Criminal-Legal Systems
- Supervised Practicum
- One-week final residency and graduation in June-July 2022
- One-year program with three-week residency and online courses
- Our skill-based applied program is designed to equip graduates to practice, train, design, and implement
- Program faculty are Experienced restorative justice practitioners and scholars
- Gain a broad knowledge of cultural, historical, and spiritual roots of restorative justice
- Focus on implementation within education and criminal-legal systems
- Supervised field practicum for hands-on implementation experience
- Foundational commitment to racial and social justice activism as integral to restorative justice
- Two week on-campus intensive course July 2021
- Orientation and welcome dinner July 2021
- Online course component
September – December 2021
Additional dates and details forthcoming
- Practicum course component
January – May 2022
Additional dates and details forthcoming
- Five day on-campus intensive course
Employer Partnership with Suffolk
Suffolk University offers a 10% tuition discount for employees of schools, districts, and agencies that join our Restorative Justice Partnership Program with Suffolk University.
Yes. The on-campus intensive includes weekend days as well as occasional weekday evening events.
Synchronous class sessions will be scheduled in the evenings.
Students must take two online courses, one of which is a supervised practicum in the implementation of Restorative Practices.
Yes. On-campus, single-occupancy dorm rooms with shared bathrooms may be secured on a space-available basis. Guests will have access to the building’s main kitchen and lounges.
Rates for summer 2020 are $78/night.
Tuition rate for the Professional Certificate in Restorative Justice Practices is $7200.
Once an offer of admissions is accepted, a non-refundable deposit of $500 is required to hold a program slot.
For those interested in securing campus housing for the summer 2020 intensive session, an additional deposit of $250 will be required (housing is offered on a space-available basis).
No, books and other materials are purchased separately from program tuition costs.
Yes. Limited scholarship support based on merit and need is allocated on a first come/first served basis at the time of application. Students who are seeking scholarship support are urged to submit applications as soon as possible.
Applicants are automatically considered for aid, no separate application is required.
Suffolk University offers a 10% tuition discount for employees of schools, districts, and agencies that join the Restorative Justice Partnership Program with Suffolk University.
- Completed online application; select “Restorative Justice 2020 Summer”
- Goal Statement (Personal essay)
- An interview or post-secondary transcript may be requested
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until May 31, 2020.