If you have a qualifying event - as defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - you may change your benefits coverage during the plan year. You must make your benefit elections within 30 days of the event. These are eligible qualifying events:
- Your legal marital status changes, including marriage, divorce, legal separation or death of spouse;
- Your number of dependents changes, due to the birth of a child, adoption, or death of a dependent;
- Your dependent reaches age 26 and is no longer eligible for your plan;
- Your employment status changes, including termination of employment or a new job for you, your spouse/domestic partner, or dependent;
- Your or your spouse’s/domestic partner’s hours of work are reduced or increased and the change of hours includes a change in eligibility between part time and full time;
- You and/or your dependents move to a new residence outside of the plan’s coverage area;
- You/your spouse become eligible for Medicaid or Medicare. Don’t forget –you will need to make all changes in Workday and attach the documentation that shows the effective date of your qualifying event within 30 days of the event.
Don’t forget –you will need to make all changes in Workday and attach the documentation that shows the effective date of your qualifying event within 30 days of the event.