ITS Software and Hardware Requisition Policy
Please use this documentation as a reference for the basic steps for requesting new Software and Hardware, and for platform selection for pedagogy at Suffolk University.
Normal Budget Cycle: Requisitioning Software and Hardware
- Around mid-October of each year: Software, Hardware and Platform Access Requests are submitted to your Academic Department Chairperson or Administrative Director for evaluation and signoff that the request is worth consideration
- In late October/Early November: ITS sends a notice to the Academic Department Chairperson and Administrative Director to begin the budget process.
- Requests approved by the Department Chairperson will be submitted to ITS. The requestor will need to complete the ITS Software Request Form [DOC] and forward to the ITS Project Management Office (PMO). NOTE: Submission of a request to ITS does not imply that such a request will be fulfilled.
- When the ITS PMO receives the request, they contact the vendor to have both a Security Assessment and Accessibility Assessment completed. The request will not move forward if it does not meet Suffolk standards for security and accessibility and the process stops at this point.
- If there are no issues with the Security/Access Assessment and Accessibility Assessment, the request process proceeds and the request is presented to the IT Governance Executive Committee (ITGEC) for approval. The PMO will work with the requestor on the presentation/value proposition.
- If the Request is approved, it’s submitted to budget for approval.
- When ITS has its final budget approved, the Academic Department Chairperson or Administrative Director is informed regarding which requests have been approved. The procurement process is managed by ITS and the software will be implemented/provisioned as soon as possible.
Outside the Normal Budget Cycle: Requisitioning Software and Hardware
- The request is submitted to the Academic Department Chair or Administrative Director for approval. NOTE: if the Academic Department Chairperson approves the request it is forward to the appropriate Dean for approval.
- If approved: steps 3 – 5 in “The Normal Budget Cycle Requisitioning Software and Hardware” processes are followed.
Every request is evaluated on a case/case basis. NOTE: these requests cannot be fulfilled/purchased outside of the ITS budget (e.g., from Departmental Funds, Research Funds, Start Up Funds, etc.).
Research/Grant Funded Request
- Purchase requests for hardware/software/projects funded by research/grant funds should be submitted directly by the Principal Investigator (PI) to ITS for review. Note: these requests can be submitted at any time.
- ITS reaches out to the vendor contact to have both a Security Assessment and Accessibility Assessment completed. The request will not move forward if it does not meet Suffolk standards for security and accessibility and the process stops here.
- Once positive assessments are completed, ITS will work with the requestor to proceed directly to the procurement process.