The virtualization platform is a centralized VMware environment that provides virtual servers to both Information Technology supported services as well as applications and services supported by departments across campus.
Advantages of virtualized servers:
- Enterprise solutions at a low cost built on enterprise caliber servers, networking, and storage.
- Scalability and flexibility over physical servers allowing maintenance and upgrades to the background hardware without incurring downtime.
- Hardware high availability due to redundant back end hardware.
- Faster server deployment since there is no need to purchase, install, or configure hardware.
- Improved utilization of staff by freeing them to refocus on the mission of the organization rather than on hardware acquisition, maintenance, and support.
- Supports campus green initiative saving power, cooling, and data center space.