Required course applications are located on the Suffolk Virtual Desktop (VDI) which all students have access. see VDI for more information.
While students are not required to purchase a laptop, below are recommended minimum laptop specifications for VDI access and general use. Depending on your major, specifications could change. Students should confirm with their advisors.
- Processor: 8th Generation Intel Core i5 or better
- Memory: 8-16 GB Minimum
- Operating System: win 10 or Mac OS 10.12
- Hard Disk Drive: 256-500 GB SSD
- Display: 12 inches or larger
- 1440 x 900 Resolution or better
- Integrated graphics
- Audio: Built-in audio capabilities
- Communication devices:
- Wireless (802.11a/b/g/n compliant)
- Expansion Ports: Two USB 2.0/3.0 and/or USB-C
- Network card: Wi-Fi (802.11ac); Dual-Band (2.4 & 5 GHz)
Make sure the wireless card supports 802.11n in both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
Art & Design laptop recommended specs
- Processor: same
- Memory: 16 GB minimum - 32 preferred
- OS Windows 10 or macOS: 10.12 minimum; 10.14 or 10.15 preferred to allow for latest versions of Adobe CC applications.
Law School recommended specs
- Webcam Required
- Microphone Required
- 2 GB Free HDD space
- 4 GB RAM Required
- 8 GB recommended
- CPU equiv. to Intel i3 2+GHZ
- MAC OS X 10.13, 10.14, or 10.15, Windows 10 (Version 1809 or 1903) or above
Visit the Connection website for discounted pricing on technology products available to Suffolk University students.
If you would prefer a MacBook, follow this link to Apple's webstore.
In addition to computers, Suffolk University provides the Sophos Antivirus program for free to all registered students on MySuffolk!
You must keep your systems up-to-date with the latest operating system security updates from Microsoft or Apple and current virus definitions from Sophos or your antivirus program.
*If your laptop causes suspicious traffic over the network, it will be suspended from the network until it is checked by Tech Support Services.