Required course applications are located on the Suffolk Virtual Desktop (VDI) which all students have access. see VDI for more information.
While students are not required to purchase a laptop, below are recommended minimum laptop specifications for VDI access and general use. Depending on your major, specifications could change. Students should confirm with their advisors.
- Processor: 8th Generation Intel Core i5 or better
- Memory: 8-16 GB Minimum
- Operating System: win 10 or Mac OS 10.12
- Hard Disk Drive: 256-500 GB SSD
- Display: 12 inches or larger
- 1440 x 900 Resolution or better
- Integrated graphics
- Audio: Built-in audio capabilities
- Communication devices:
- Wireless (802.11a/b/g/n compliant)
- Expansion Ports: Two USB 2.0/3.0 and/or USB-C
- Network card: Wi-Fi (802.11ac); Dual-Band (2.4 & 5 GHz)
Make sure the wireless card supports 802.11n in both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
If you would prefer a MacBook, follow this link to Apple's webstore.
In addition to computers, Suffolk University provides the Symantec Antivirus program for free to all registered students on MySuffolk!
You must keep your systems up-to-date with the latest operating system security updates from Microsoft or Apple and current virus definitions form Symantec or your antivirus program.
*If your laptop causes suspicious traffic over the network, it will be suspended from the network until it is checked by Tech Support Services.
In addition to the corporate edition of Symantec Antivirus, we also provide, without charge, the Microsoft Office Professional suite at our Webstore.