salamanca plaza mayor

With few exceptions, you must obtain a student visa to study at Suffolk University Madrid Campus. These exceptions are:

  • If you plan to stay in Spain for 90 days or less, and your country does not require a tourist visa for Spain, a valid passport is all that is required.
  • If you hold a European Union passport, no visa is required.
  • All non-EU citizens studying in Spain for longer than 90 days need to process a student visa in order to legally stay in Spain.

Where can I get a visa to study in Spain?

  • Visas are issued by Spanish Embassies and Consulates. For information on Spanish Embassies and Consulates around the world please click on this link. The requirements to obtain a student visa vary slightly from one consulate to another, so please make sure you check with the appropriate consulate before starting your paperwork.
  • To obtain a student visa a student must be enrolled full time.
  • Once in Spain, full-year students will need to process the Spanish Student Residency Card. This process must be initiated within the first 30 days after arrival, and the Madrid Campus staff helps students with these procedures.

How do I apply for a student visa?

  • Most Spanish Consulates require a personal appearance to apply for the visa. Check the list of requirements as specified on your consulate's website.

What are the required documents?

The list of required documents may vary from one consulate to another so students will need to get in touch with the appropriate consulate in each case.

However, all consulates will require an Acceptance Letter (original form): as a full-time student at Suffolk University Madrid Campus. This means that students will not be able to start the visa process until they’ve been officially accepted to our university.


  • Finding out if you will be required to obtain a visa and obtaining the relevant visa is the sole responsibility of each individual student
  • Suffolk University is not allowed to intervene in any visa request procedures
  • Suffolk University Madrid Campus can deny enrollment to any accepted student who arrives in Spain without a required student visa