Eligibility & Application
Currently accepting applications for the Fall 2018 Cohort!
Given the limited availability of student spots every year, meeting the eligibility requirements (see below) does not guarantee admission into the McNair cohort. Letters of recommendation, resumes, and personal statements are assessed by the program admissions committee to identify students who might benefit the most from our program offerings, who may have a strong commitment to undergraduate research, and whose goal is to complete an academic doctorate.
In addition, students must be willing to participate in the McNair Scholars Summer Research Institute, at least once, before graduation; present their research projects in at least two conferences (McNair or Academic conferences only); and have a commitment to participate in all McNair seminars, workshops, and activities until graduation.
To participate in the McNair Scholars Program, the U.S. Department of Education requires that participants are:
- U.S. Citizens or permanent residents;
- Sophomore or Junior with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above; and
- Full-time undergraduate at Suffolk University.
In addition, students qualify on either one or both of the following:
- Income eligible (see guidelines) and of first-generation status (neither parent has a bachelor's degree)
- A member of a group historically underrepresented in graduate education, including Black, Hispanic, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islanders.
To download and complete an Application for the Fall 2018 Cohort: Download the Application [PDF].
Additionally, TWO Letters of Recommendation must be submitted (at least one must be from a Suffolk Professor). Fill out the top portion of the form and allow your recommender to fill out the rest. To download the form: CLICK HERE
For questions about the application or eligibility contact the program staff. Completed application materials and recommendation letters can be submitted in-person, by email, by mail, or by fax. See application and recommendation forms for details.