Faculty Advising Resources
The National Academic Advising Association
The National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) promotes and supports quality academic advising in institutions of higher education to enhance the educational development of students. NACADA provides a forum for discussion, debate, and the exchange of ideas pertaining to academic advising through numerous activities and publications. NACADA also serves as an advocate for effective academic advising by providing a Consultants Bureau, an Awards Program, and funding for Research related to academic advising.
- A Liberal Education is Marketable [PDF]
- Learning at the Core [PDF]
- Think Field of Study, Not Major [PDF]
- How Do I Find Out What the Faculty are Doing? [PDF]
- Making Your Studies Meaningful [PDF]
- Want Good Advising? Take the Initiative. [PDF]
- Four Steps to Choosing a College Major. [NY Times Article].
Cornerstone Conversations with your Advisees
Cornerstone conversations are the basis for many advising conversations. They can be meeting starters, points-of-focus, and set themes that may follow your advisees throughout their Suffolk careers.
These conversations help students understand the importance of connecting with their community. It is during a meaningful conversation that our students build a sense of security, and are able to begin exploring their interests, expressing their needs and learning to communicate professionally.
You'll find a number of sample cornerstone conversations in our "Getting Started" pages for students. These are only a beginning, as you tailor your advising to meet the needs of each individual student. If you'd like to discuss your ideas or could use some additional suggestions, we invite you to call or visit our offices.
Undergraduate Academic Advising Center
73 Tremont St., 9th floor
Faculty Hotline: 617-994-4272
Monday - Friday, 8:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m
A New Tool to Help Support Positive Student Outcomes
Suffolk University has partnered with the Education Advisory Board (EAB) to implement Navigate, a powerful set of data-driven tools to guide Suffolk University advisors, faculty, and student support staff in academic and career advising. The goal of this implementation is to improve retention and graduation rates.
The Navigate System turns transactional information into actionable insight, incorporating data and predictive analytics with Suffolk’s existing advising tools, giving advisors, faculty, and support staff a real-time window into which students need intervention, helping them identify and address student issues quickly and effectively.
The Navigate system:
- Combines technology, consulting, and best practice research to help colleges and universities use data to improve retention and graduation rates
- Utilizes a proprietary predictive model that identifies at-risk students and works as an analytics engine that identifies and isolates systemic barriers to degree completion
- Uses historical data to generate accurate and actionable risk assessments for each student
Advisors, faculty and other staff see at a glance which students are in need of intervention, and have a broad set of communication tools to help them transform insight into action – and outcomes, including:
- Institutional reports
- 360-degree student view
- Advanced filtering
- Major guidance
- Career guidance
- Comprehensive case management
- Usage and effectiveness tracking
Navigate SupportNavigate website
If you are having technical issues or have questions about functionality/navigation, please submit a service ticket.