Amy Agigian, PhD
Associate Professor, Sociology and Criminal JusticeSend a Message
- PhD, Brandeis University
- MA, Brandeis University
- BA University of California, Santa Cruz
- Sociology of Reproduction
- Gender and Women’s Studies
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Studies
- Health and Human Rights.
Associate Professor, Suffolk University, Sociology Department.
Assistant Professor, Suffolk University, Sociology Department.
- Spring 1999
Visiting Assistant Professor, Suffolk University, Sociology Department.
- Fall 1998
Senior Lecturer, Suffolk University, Sociology Department.
Tutor, Harvard University, Committee on Degrees in Women’s Studies, and History of Science Department.
Teaching Fellow, Harvard University, Committee on Degrees in Women's Studies.
Lecturer, Brandeis University, Sociology Department.
- "Holistic sickening: breast cancer and the discursive worlds of complementary and alternative practitioners.” With Susan Sered. Sociology of Health & Illness Vol. 30 No. 4 2008: 616– 631.
- Baby Steps: How Lesbian Insemination is changing the World. Middletown, Connecticut: Wesleyan University Press. Paper edition, 2005.
- “Stratified Reproduction.” Entry in the Encyclopedia of Sociology, Blackwell, 2005.
- “Women’s Mental Health and Well-Being: How a Human Rights Perspective Helps.” Keynote address at the conference “Women’s Mental Health and Well-Being: (How) Does a Human Rights Perspective Help?” Suffolk University. Boston. January 2007.
- “Health, Human Rights, and Hurricane Katrina.” Presentation in the Health and the Environment panel, Boston Meets Katrina: Anniversary Symposium. University of Massachusetts, Boston. September 2006.
- “Silence, Ideology, Enforced Stories, and Hidden Agendas: Laws & Policies regarding Lesbian AI And their Implementation.” Thematic Session Panelist, American Sociological Association Conference. Montreal. August 2006.
- Director, Center for Women’s Health and Human Rights
- Academic Director, Practicum in Advocacy at the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- Principal and Steering Committee Member, Massachusetts CEDAW Coalition
- Board Member, Jobs with Justice, Workers’ Rights Board