Aroon P. Manoharan
Associate Professor Director, National Center for Public Performance
Dr. Aroon P. Manoharan’s research interests include e-government, performance measurement, strategic planning, public communication, administrative capacity, and comparative public administration. His research employs an international comparative focus, and he was involved in e-government projects in Kigali (Rwanda), Prague (Czech Republic), Sofia (Bulgaria), Cape Town (South Africa), and India. His recent books include E-Government and Information Technology Management: Concepts and Best Practices; and E-Government and Websites: A Public Solutions Handbook. He is the Director of the National Center for Public Performance (NCPP), and had directed the Digital Governance in Municipalities Worldwide Surveys and the U.S. States and Municipalities E-Governance Surveys. He was the previous chair of the ASPA Section on Public Performance and Management (SPPM). He received his Ph.D. from the School of Public Affairs and Administration (SPAA), Rutgers University-Newark and MPA from Kansas State University.
Honors and Recognitions
- Jeanne Marie Col Leadership Award, ASPA Section on International and Comparative Administration (SICA), 2020.
- Paul A. Volcker Junior Scholar Research Award, American Political Science Association, 2012.
- John Carlin Scholarship in Public Administration 2004, awarded to an M.P.A. student who demonstrates outstanding potential as a public administrator, Department of Political Science, Kansas State University.
- Editor, Occasional Paper Series of the ASPA-Section on International and Comparative Administration (SICA)
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Public Administration
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of E-Planning Research
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Public Administration in the Digital Age
- Founding Vice-Chair, ASPA South Asian Section of Public Administration (SASPA)
- Chair-Elect, ASPA Section for International and Comparative Administration (SICA)
- Member, South-Asia Sub Committee of NASPAA
- Ex-Chair, ASPA Section on Public Performance and Management (SPPM)
- Ex-Chair, NASPAA Dissertation Award Committee
- Member, Board of Directors, Performing Arts Center of Metrowest
Recent Intellectual Contributions
Refereed Journal Articles
Manoharan, A. P., Melitski, J., & Holzer, M. (2022). Digital Governance: An Assessment of Performance and Best Practices. Public Organization Review, 1-19.
Manoharan A, & Rangarajan N. (2022). Communication pedagogy in public affairs programs: Insights from a study of MPA and MPP curricula. Teaching Public Administration.
Manoharan, A. P., Ingrams, A., Kang, D., & Zhao, H. (2021). Globalization and worldwide best practices in e-government. International Journal of Public Administration, 44(6), 465-476.
McQuiston, J., & Manoharan, A. P. (2021). E-Government and information technology coursework in public administration programs in Asia. Teaching Public Administration, 39(2), 210-226.
Manoharan, A. P., Viswanath, S., & Sabharwal, M. (2020). Public administration pedagogy in India. Journal of Public Affairs Education, 26(3), 291-312.
Ingrams, A., Manoharan, A., Schmidthuber, L., & Holzer, M. (2020). Stages and determinants of e-government development: a twelve-year longitudinal study of global cities. International Public Management Journal. 23(6), 731-769.
Manoharan, A. P., & Ingrams, A. (2018). Conceptualizing e-government from local government perspectives. State and Local Government Review, 50(1), 56-66.
Manoharan, A. P., Mirbel, W., & Carrizales, T. (2018). Global comparative public administration: are MPA programs responding to the call? Teaching Public Administration, 36(1), 34-49.
McQuiston, J. M., & Manoharan, A. P. (2017). Developing E-Government coursework through the NASPAA competencies framework. Teaching Public Administration, 35(2), 173-189.
Manoharan, A. P., & McQuiston, J. (2016). Technology and pedagogy: information technology competencies in public administration and public policy programs. Journal of Public Affairs
Education, 22(2), 175-186.
Manoharan, A., Melitski, J., & Bromberg, D. (2015). State strategic information system plans: An assessment integrating strategy and operations through performance measurement. International Journal of Public Sector Management, 28(3), 240-253.
Manoharan, A., & McQuiston, J. (2018). Innovative Perspectives on Public Administration in the Digital Age. IGI Global.
Holzer, M., Manoharan, A., & Melitski, J. (2018). E-Government and Information Technology Management: Concepts and Best Practices. Melvin and Leigh.
Manoharan, A. (2014). E-Government and Websites: A Public Solutions Handbook. Routledge.
Manoharan, A. P., & Wu, H. C. (2021). Digital Branding for Government Public Relations. In The Practice of Government Public Relations (pp. 153-174). Routledge.
Kumar, S., Manoharan, A., & Chandrakalatharan, J. (2021). Applying Competencies State Capability Enhancement Project (SCEP) in Holzer, M., & Ballard, A. (Eds.). (2021). The Public Productivity and Performance Handbook (3rd ed.). Routledge.
Manoharan, A.P. & Carrizales, T. (2021), Ethical Privacy Policies for E-Government Websites, in Tummala, K.K. (Ed.) Corruption in the Public Sector: An International Perspective (Public Policy and Governance, Vol. 34), Emerald Publishing Limited, Bingley, pp. 129-137.
Roberts A., Manoharan A.P. (2020) UPSC Examination Papers on Public Administration in India. In: Farazmand A. (eds) Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance. Springer, Cham.