Elif Armbruster, PhD
Associate Professor, EnglishSend a Message
- PhD, Boston University
- MA, University of Maine
- BA, Haverford and Bryn Mawr Colleges (English and French)
- American Realism (1870-1920)
- American Domestic Architecture
- Material Culture Studies
- Women’s Literature
- Ethnic Literature
- American Autobiography and Biography
- Domestic Biographies: Stowe, Howells, James, and Wharton at Home. New York: Peter Lang, 2011.
Essays and Book Chapters
- "'Like Patterns Stenciled on a Wall': Edith Wharton's Decoration of Fictional Houses." Edith Wharton: Critical Insights. Ed. Myrto Drizou. Salem Press, 2017. 81-95.
- "Biography of Edith Wharton." Edith Wharton: Critical Insights. Ed. Myrto Drizou. Salem Press, 2017. xxix-xxxiv.
- "The Chinese American Miracle: An Interview with Anchee Min." MELUS 40.4 (Winter 2015): 173-190.
- "From Laura Esquivel to Suzan Colon: Food and Female Identity in Fact and Fiction." Published January 11, 2013.
Introductions to Trade Edition Classics
- "Introduction," "Chronology," "Notes," and "Based on the Book," in Harriet Beecher Stowe, Uncle Tom's Cabin(1852). Reprint; New York: Barnes & Noble Publishing, 2012.
- "Introduction," in Edith Wharton, Summer (1917). Reprint; New York: Barnes & Noble Publishing, 2006.
- Review of Henry Goings', Rambles of a Runaway from Southern Slavery, ed. Calvin Schermerhorn, Michael Plunkett, and Edward Gaynor. Nineteenth Century Studies (December 2013).
- Review of MOM: The Transformation of Motherhood in Modern America, Rebecca Jo Plant, Journal of Popular Culture, (March 2011).
Work in Progress
- "Dwelling in American Realism." The Oxford Handbook to American Realism. Ed. Keith Newlin. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (forthcoming).
- Sisters by Design: The Intertwined Lives of Edith Wharton, Minnie Jones, and Beatrix Farrand.
- "Swamps and Orange Trees": Race and Reconstruction in Harriet Beecher Stowe's Palmetto Leaves."