Associate Professor of Legal Writing; Director, Legal Innovation & Technology ConcentrationSend a Message
- U.S. District (MA)
Dyane O Leary graduated from Villanova University summa cum laude and earned a J.D. summa cum laude from Suffolk University Law School, where she was Associate Production Editor of Law Review. Upon graduating from law school, Professor O Leary spent approximately five years as an attorney at WilmerHale, LLP in Boston, where she practiced complex commercial and intellectual property litigation. Additionally, she clerked for the Hon. William E. Smith of the United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island. Prior to joining the Suffolk legal writing faculty, Professor O Leary was an Assistant Professor of Academic Support at Suffolk for three years. She also taught Legal Research and Writing at New England Law Boston and was an Adjunct Professor in the Legal Skills in Social Context program at Northeastern University School of Law.
(Tech) Actions speak Louder: Developing Tomorrow's Legal Thinkers, Problem-Solvers, & Builders, THE FUTURE LAWYER (2019) (with Gabriel Teninbaum).
Submitted By: Legal Writing Robot, BBO# 55555, LEGAL WRITING MATTERS BLOG (Oct. 3. 2019).
Teaching a Hybrid Legal Writing Course? Lessons From Two First-Timers, LEGAL WRITING MATTERS BLOG (Sept. 19, 2019) (with Rosa Kim).
License to Hack, 94 N.Y.U. L. REV. ONLINE 234 (2019).
1Tech Year, LEGAL WRITING MATTERS BLOG (Sept. 5, 2018).
A-I is a G-O, 26:1 PERSPECTIVES: TEACHING LEGAL RESEARCH & WRITING (2017).
Picture This: Tackling the Latest Trend in Digital Note Taking, 24:1 THE LAW TEACHER (Fall 2017).
Flipped Out, Plugged in, and Wired Up: Fostering Success for Students with ADHD in the New Digital Law School, 45 CAP. U. L. Rev. 289 (2017).
Hurry Up & Write, LEGAL WRITING MATTERS BLOG (May 24, 2017).
Legal “Street” Writing, 29:2 THE SECOND DRAFT (2016).
Legal Texting, LEGAL WRITING MATTERS BLOG (August 12, 2016).
Let Me Do It Myself: The Value of Self-Critique Training in Academic Support, THE LEARNING CURVE (AALS Section on Academic Support) (Summer 2014).
Advance Conflict Waivers: Will They Work For You, 54 BOSTON BAR JOURNAL 12 (Summer 2010) (with Mary B. Strother).
- What Are Infographics & Why do I Care?, Legal Writing Institute Biennial Virtual COnference (July 2020) (recorded presentation).
- Which Parts Go Where? Online Skills v. Online Doctrine, Online & Hybrid Learning Pedagogy: Toward Defining Best Practices in Legal Education, Denver, CO (September 2019) (with Leah Chan Grinvald).
- Legal Technology in Research & Writing, Harvard Law School Legal Technology Symposium, Cambridge, MA (panel participant) (September 2019)
- Future of Lawyering: Determining & Finding Truth, Southeastern Association of Law Schools (SEALS) Annual Conference, Boca Raton, FL (panel presenter) (August 2019)
- Going the Distance: Incorporating Legal Tech Skills in a Hybrid Writing Course, Association of Legal Writing Directors Biennial Conference, Boston, MA (May 2019).
- License to Hack, Conference on Governance of Emerging Technologies & Science, Phoenix, AZ (May 2019).
- The Robots Aren't Coming, But the Writing Bots Are, New England Consortium of Legal Writing Teachers Annual Conference, Portland, ME (May 2019).
- Learning Here, There, and Everywhere: Distance Learning Technology & New Tech Tools, American Association of Law Schools 2019 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA (January 2019) (panel and workshop participant)
- Artificial Intelligence Meets Legal Research, Legal Writing Institute Biennial Conference, Milwaukee, WI (July 2018).
- Legal Texting, Legal Writing Institute Biennial Conference, Milwaukee, WI (July 2018) (poster presentation)
- Time Warp: Time-Pressured Writing in the Classroom, New England Consortium of Legal Writing Teachers Regional Conference, UCONN Law School, Hartford, CT (with Sabrina DeFabritiis, Samantha Moppett, & Kathleen Elliott Vinson) (October 2017).
- Rubrics and Checklists and Frameworks Oh My, Southeastern Association of Law Schools (SEALS) Annual Conference, Boca Raton, FL (Panel Presenter) (August 2017).
- Jing Me, Media Presentation, Association of Legal Writing Directors Biennial Conference, Minneapolis, MN (July 2017).
- Sowing the Seeds: Using Collaborative Student Career Programs to Encourage Diversity in the Legal Writing Field, Association of Legal Writing Directors Biennial Conference, Minneapolis, MN (with Suffolk University Professor Rosa Kim) (July 2017).
- Law Students With Learning Disabilities in the Modern Era: Meeting the Challenges of an Evolving Community, Southeastern Association of Law School (SEALS) Annual Conference, Boca Raton, FL (with Laura Rothstein) (August 2015).
- Sunrise to Sunset Breaking Tradition by Using Online Resources in Academic and Bar Support, Association of Academic Support Educators National Conference, The John Marshall Law School, Chicago, IL (with Antonette Barilla and Elizabeth Stillman) (May 2015).
- Flipped Out & Blended In: Calling Attention to Students with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in the Virtual Classroom, New England Consortium of Academic Support Professionals Annual Conference, Suffolk University Law School (December 2014).
- Tools to Improve Peer Editing, Legal Writing Institute One Day Workshop, Northeastern University School of Law (December 2011).
- BA, Villanova University
- JD, Suffolk University