Associate Professor of Legal Writing; Director Legal Innovation & Technology ConcentrationSend a Message
Professor O'Leary is an active member of the national legal writing and legal technology community and director of the LIT Concentration as part of Suffolk’s #1 nationally ranked LIT Institute. She is the author of the first student-centered coursebook on innovation and technology practical skills for lawyers. Her scholarship focuses on integrating technology competence into the legal practice and broader law school curriculum. She has published and presented on topics such as artificially intelligent legal research and writing tools and document automation and designed an advanced writing class to build skills in areas such as e-discovery, research analytics, cybersecurity basics, word processing for lawyers, typography, remote lawyering and law practice management tools, and digital design of legal documents. Her national service includes Managing Editor on the Editorial Board for the Legal Writing Institute (LWI) Journal of Legal Writing, 2019 host representative for the Association of Legal Writing Directors (ALWD) Conference, 2021 Site Committee Chair for the ALWD Conference, 2020-21 LWI Committee Symposium on AI & the Legal Profession committee member, 2022 ALWD Board Member Elect, 2021 Awards Committee Chair, AALS Section on Tech., Law, & Legal Education, and 2022 Chair-Elect for the AALS Section on Tech., Law, & Legal Education.
- Suffolk University Law School (JD, summa cum laude); winner of Daniel J. Fern Award (highest GPA) Villanova University (BA, summa cum laude)
- Life Admin When Life Turns Upside Down: A Book Review (of sorts), COVID Care Crisis Symposium (forthcoming 2021) (with Professor Sarah Schendel).
- Smart Lawyering: Integrating the Duty of Technology Competency into the Legal Writing Curriculum, 19 U.N.H. Law Rev. 197 (2021) available at .
- License to Hack, 94 N.Y.U. L. REV. ONLINE 234 (2019).
- Flipped Out, Plugged in, and Wired Up: Fostering Success for Students with ADHD in the New Digital Law School, 45 CAP. U. L. Rev. 289 (2017).
- A-I is a G-O, 26:1 Perspectives: Teaching Legal Research & Writing (2017)
LEGAL INNOVATION & TECHNOLOGY: A PRACTICAL SKILLS GUIDE FOR THE MODERN LAWYER, West Academic Publishing (forthcoming 2022).
- (Tech) Actions Speak Louder: Developing Tomorrow’s Legal Thinkers, Problem-Solvers, & Builders, THE FUTURE LAWYER (2019) (with Gabriel Teninbaum)
- Submitted By: Legal Writing Robot, BBO# 55555, LEGAL WRITING MATTERS BLOG (Oct. 3, 2019).
- Teaching a Hybrid Legal Writing Course? Lessons From Two First-Timers, LEGAL WRITING MATTERS BLOG (Sept. 19, 2019) (with Rosa Kim).
- 1Tech Year, LEGAL WRITING MATTERS BLOG (Sept. 5, 2018).
- Legal Texting, LEGAL WRITING MATTERS BLOG (August 12, 2016).
Honors and Awards
Professor O’Leary was named a “Women of Legal Tech” by the American Bar Association Legal Technology Resource Center in 2022. In 2021, she was recognized as a Fastcase 50 Honoree (an award recognizing innovation and leadership in technology and law) and was also elected as a Fellow of the College of Law Practice Management. She was recognized by the Association of Legal Writing Directors with an Outstanding Service Award in 2021 for her leadership with national conference planning and received Suffolk University’s Creating the Dream Award in 2017 for her efforts at supporting a diverse and inclusive environment at the law school.
- Massachusetts, 2005
- U.S. District Court (D.Mass.), 2006