Gary Fireman, PhD
Professor, PsychologySend a Message
Associate Provost for Academic Affairs
- PhD, Long Island University
- MA, Long Island University
- BA, University of Michigan
Internship: Long Island Jewish Medical Center/Hillside Hospital; Postdoctoral Fellowship: City University of New York, Graduate Center; Licensed Clinical Psychologist, MA, TX, NY.
Developmental psychopathology; social competence; sleep.
My research interest is in the role of emotional complexity, intensity and experience in relation to judgment, social reasoning, personal narrative, and sleep quality. I am interested in applying these research concerns with a developmental frame to those who are identified as aggressive, rejected, peer-victimized, and as having poor emotional regulation and limited pro-social skills. I am also interested in emotion functioning in relation to sleep quality, nightmares and disturbed dreaming, and related cognitive processes. My clinical interests include child, adolescent, and adult therapy, as well as psychological and psycho-educational assessment.
- Fergusson, A., Hopkins, S., Stark, A.M., Tousignant, O., Fireman, G.D. (2020). Children expressing mixed emotion in a nonsocial context. The Journal of Genetic Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221325.2020.1778624
- Stark, A.M., Tousignant, O.H., & Fireman, G.D. (2019). Gender-based effects of frames on bullying outcomes. The Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied. doi:10.1080/00223980.2019.1578192.
- Tousignant, O.H, Taylor, N.D., Suvak, M.K., & Fireman, G.D. (2018). Effects of rumination and worry on sleep. Behavior Therapy. doi:10.1016/j.beth.2018.09.005
- Asher, Y., Stark, A, & Fireman, G.D. (2017). Comparing electronic and traditional bullying in embarrassment and exclusion scenarios. Computers in Human Behavior, 76, 26-34. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2017.06.037.
- Fireman, G.D., Levin, R., Pope, A.W. (2014). Narrative qualities of bad dreams and nightmares. Dreaming, 24(2), 112-124. Doi:10.1037/a0035791