Debra Harkins, PhD
Associate Professor, PsychologySend a Message
- PhD, Clark University
- MA, Clark University
- BS, University of Massachusetts, Boston
Internship: Charles River Counseling Center; Postdoctoral Fellowship: Children's Hospital/Harvard Medical School; Licensed Psychologist, Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Social justice; diversity; empowerment; pedagogy; organizational development
My current interests include using action-based research and process consultation models with multicultural, underserved, and diverse communities. Specific interests working with communities include empowerment, social justice and organizational development. Our project team uses a narrative based and action based method to explore the psychosocial impact of race, homelessness, social class, and gender on organizational development in underserved communities.
- Garcia, J. & Harkins, DA (2014). Brief report on service learning and diversity acceptance. Journal of Pedagogy and Human Science: Special Issue on Service Learning, 4: 1-11.
- Harkins, DA with Ray, S., Sharicz, CA., Doppler-Bourassa, E., Austin, M., Ronayne, M., Mehta, CM., Nguyen, JPQ, and Pimentel-Eye, JH (2013). Beyond the Campus: Building a sustainable university-community partnership. NJ: Information Age Publishing.
- Mizock, L., & Harkins, DA (2012). Researcher Race Social constructions in the research process. New Jersey: Information Age Publishing.
- Jefferson, D. & Harkins, DA. (2011) "Hey, I've got a voice too! Narratives of adversity, growth and empowerment. Journal for Social Action in Counseling and Psychology, 3(2): 104-128.
- Harkins, DA., Ray, S., & Davis, T. (2010) Diversity consulting and organizational development. Tamara Journal of Critical Organizational Inquiry. 9(4), 135-156.