Jonathan Haughton, PhD
Professor, EconomicsSend a Message
Senior Economist, Beacon Hill Institute
- PhD, Harvard University
- BA(Mod), Trinity College, Dublin
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA® 2002)
Held faculty positions at Wellesley College (1996-97), Northeastern University (1989-1996), and University of Maryland Baltimore County (1983-1987). Research Associate, Harvard Institute for International Development (1987-89), and Instructor, Harvard University (1982-83).
Affiliations include Research Fellow, International Tax Program, Harvard Law School (1989-96); Université de Toulouse I (2006-2007) Visiting Professor, National Economics University, Hanoi (Jan-May 1994); Visiting Professor, Shanghai University of International Business and Economics (occasional, 2012, 2013, 2014); and Université Cheikh Anta Diop (2012, 2017), Kaplan/Schweser (2001-2018), and Temple University, Japan (summer 1987).
Has undertaken assignments for the World Bank, USAID, African Development Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, Department for International Development (UK), IFPRI, Government of Rwanda, Economist Intelligence Unit, Ford Foundation, Japan Bank for International Cooperation, UNDP, and Soros Foundation.
- Living Standards Analytics: Development Through the Lends of Household Survey Data, Springer, New York, 2012. [With Dominique Haughton].
- Handbook on Poverty and Inequality, World Bank, Washington DC. 2009. [With Shahid Khandker].
- Living Standards during an Economic Boom: Vietnam 1993-1998, December 2001. United Nations Development Program and Statistical Publishing House, Hanoi. [With Dominique Haughton and Nguyen Phong].
- Health and Wealth in Vietnam: An Analysis of Household Living Standards 1999. Institute for Southeast Studies Press, Singapore. [With Sarah Bales, Truong Thi Kim Chuyen, Dominique Haughton and Nguyen Nguyet Nga].
- Discrimination against Migrants in Urban Vietnam, International Advances in Economic Research, 24(3): 211-232, 2018. [With Wendi Sun and Le Thi Thanh Loan.]
- Inequality and Entrepreneurial Thresholds, Journal of Business Venturing, 33(3): 278-295, 2018. [With Soumodip Sarkar and Carlos Rufin.]
- The Distributional Effects of the Trump and Clinton Tax Proposals, Atlantic Economic Journal, 45(4): 453-472, December 2017. [With Paul Bachman, Keshab Bhattarai, and David Tuerck.]
- The Distributional Effects of Government Responses to the 2009 Recession in Thailand. Journal of Southeast Asian Economies, 2016, 33(1): 39-62. [With Somchai Jitsuchon and Pungpond
- Causal Business Analytics: Uplift Models and Directed Acyclic Graphs. In Proceedings of the 60th World Statistics Congress of the International Statistical Institute, 2015. December 2015. [With Dominique Haughton and Victor Lo.]
- The Economic Effects of the FairTax: Analysis of Results of a Dynamic CGE Model of the US Economy. International Economics and Economic Policy, 2016, 1-16. [With Keshab Bhattarai and
- The Politics of Local Government Stabilization Funds. Public Administration Review, 75(2): 304-314, March/April 2015. [With Douglas Snow and Jerry Gianakis]
- Microcredit on a Large Scale: Appraising the Thailand Village Fund. Asian Economic Journal, December 2014, 28(4): 363-388. [With Shahid Khandker and Pungpond Rukumnuaykit]
- Student Performance in an Introductory Business Statistics Course: Does Delivery Mode Matter? Journal of Education for Business, 2014, 90(1): 31-43. [With Alison Kelly]
- The Surprising Effects of the Great Recession: Losers and Winners in Thailand in 2008-09, World Development, 2014, 56: 77-92. [With Shahidur Khandker]
- Does the Village Fund Matter in Thailand? Evaluating the Impact on Incomes and Spending, Journal of Asian Economics, 2013, 25: 3-16. [With Jirawan Boonperm and Shahidur Khandker]
- Bubble Rap: Visualizing Poverty Dynamics, Case Studies in Business, Industrial, and Government Statistics, 2012, 5(1): 67-74.
- Why is Agricultural Trade within ECOWAS So High? Journal of African Economies, 2013, 22(1):22-51. [With Abdoulaye Seck, Lassana Cissokho, and Kossi Makpayo].
- Evaluating the Impact of Egyptian Social Fund for Development Programs, Journal of Development Effectiveness, 2010, 2(4): 521-555. [With Hala Abou-Ali, Hesham El-Azony, Heba El-Laithy, and Shahidur Khandker].
- Ethnic Minority Development in Vietnam. Journal of Development Studies, 2007, 43(7): 1151-1176. [With Bob Baulch, Truong Thi Kim Chuyen, and Dominique Haughton].
- Tax Incidence in Vietnam, Asian Economic Journal 20(2): 217-239, 2006. [With Nguyen The Quan and Nguyen Hoang Bao].
- The Incidence of State-Level Taxes on Oil and Gas, Public Finance Review, 2006, 34(5): 527-550. [With David G. Tuerck].
- Explaining the Pattern of Regional Unemployment: The Case of the Midi-Pyrenees Region, Papers in Regional Science, 82: 155-174, 2003. [With Yves Aragon et al.]
- Ten Puzzles and Surprises: Economic and Social Change in Vietnam, 1993-1998, Comparative Economic Studies, fall 2000, 17(4): 67-92.
- Explaining Child Nutrition in Vietnam, Economic Development and Cultural Change, 1997, 45(3), 541-556. [With Dominique Haughton].
- Gasoline Tax as a Corrective Tax: Estimates for the United States, 1970-1991, Energy Journal, April 1996, 17(2), 103-126. [With Soumodip Sarkar].
- Son Preference in Vietnam, Studies in Family Planning, November/December 1995, pp. 325-337. [With Dominique Haughton].
- Adding Mystery to the Case of the Missing Currency, Quarterly Review of Economics and Business, 1995, 595-602.
- Designing VAT Systems: How Many Rates and At What Levels? Review of Economics and Statistics, 1996, 78(2): 303-308. [With Ali Agha].
25 book chapters, including:
- Chapter 1: Historical Background, in The Economy of Ireland, 13 th edition, John O’Hagan and Francis O’Toole (eds.), 2017.
- Growth in Output and Living Standards, Chapter 7 in John O’Hagan and Carol Newman (eds.), Economy of Ireland (12 th edition), Gill and Macmillan, Dublin. 2014.
Over 100 reports, including:
- Rwanda Poverty Profile Report 2016/17. NISR, Kigali, December 2018. [Main author, with Baba Ali
Mwango, Roger Kamana, Serge Mugabo, Heba El Laithy, and Dominique Haughton]
- Microcredit in Viet Nam: Does It Matter? 2016. International Food Policy Research Institute
Discussion Paper 01569, Washington DC. [With Shahidur Khandker.]
- Measuring the Revenue and Incidence Effects of Tax Changes in Thailand. For World Bank Office,
Thailand, July 2012.
- “Education in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City: Access and Uses” (with Le Thi Thanh Loan). April 2011.
- “Health in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City: Patterns of Use” (with Le Thi Thanh Loan). March 2011.
- Urban Poverty Assessment in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City: Executive Summary. For UNDP, Hanoi People's Committee, and Ho Chi Minh City People's Committee. November 2010. [With Le Thi Thanh Loan et al.].
- The Informal Sector, Business Climate and Firm Growth: WAEMU Countries in Comparative Perspective; for World Bank, October 31, 2010. [With Dominique Haughton and Aly Mbaye].
- Vietnam: Country Report. Principal author, 1996-2008. For Economist Intelligence Unit, London.
- The Economic Effects of the FairTax: Results from the Beacon Hill Institute CGE Model. September 2006. [41 pp.] [With David Tuerck, Keshab Bhattarai, Phuong Viet Ngo and Alfonso Sanchez-Penalver].
- An Economic Analysis of a Wind Farm in Nantucket Sound. Beacon Hill Institute, Boston. Submitted to Army Corps of Engineers, May 2004. [With Douglas Giuffre, John Barrett and David Tuerck].
- Metro Area and State Competitiveness Report 2003. Beacon Hill Institute, Boston, December 2003. [With Cagdas Sirin]. Also helped update reports in most years since then.
Awards & Honors
- CAS Faculty Award for Service, Suffolk University, 2018.
- Excellent Teacher of the Year award, Northeastern University, 1994.
- Allyn Young Prize for excellence in teaching, Harvard University (each year 1978/9 through 1982/3).
- Google Scholar: 3,314 citations; ResearchGate (RG) score: 22.3 [As of November 2019.]
- Editorial Board, Journal of Environmental and Public Health, 2018-present.