Hannah Hudson, PhD
Assistant Professor, EnglishSend a Message
- PhD, Stanford University
- MA, Stanford University
- MPhil, University of Cambridge
- AB, Princeton University
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century British Literature
- History of the Novel
- Book & Publishing History
- The Gothic
- Women Writers
- Popular Fiction
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- “Sentiment and the Gothic: Failures of Emotion in the Novels of Mrs. Radcliffe and the Minerva Press,” in The Eighteenth-Century Sentimental Novel, ed. Albert J. Rivero. Cambridge University Press, forthcoming 2019.
- “‘This Lady is Descended from a Good Family’: Women and Biography in British Magazines, 1770–1798” in Women's Periodicals and Print Culture in Britain, 1690-1820s: The Long Eighteenth Century, ed. Jennie Batchelor and Manushag Powell. Edinburgh University Press, 2018, pp. 278-93.
- “Byronic Advertising: Celebrity, Romantic Biography, and the London Magazine” in The European Romantic Review 27:6, 2016, pp. 747-767.
- “Robert Bage’s Novel Merchandise: Commercialism, Gender, and Form in Late Eighteenth-Century Fiction,” in The Eighteenth-Century Novel, Vol. 9. New York: AMS Press, 2012, pp. 171-192.
Scholarly Editions and Introductions to Editions
- Introduction to Count Roderic’s Castle (Minerva Press, 1794). Valancourt Books, 2017.
- Edited Selections from Carlton-House Magazine, 1792 in Romantic Women Writers Reviewed, vol. 9, ed. Ann Hawkins. London: Pickering & Chatto, 2013, pp. 169-92.
- Edited Selections from The Universal Magazine and Review, 1790 in Romantic Women Writers Reviewed, vol. 5, ed. Ann Hawkins. London: Pickering & Chatto, 2012, pp. 129-57.
- “Romantic Lives, Romantic Archives,” (teaching materials; NASSR/Romantic Circles 2018 Pedagogy Contest Finalist) Romantic Circles, forthcoming fall 2018.
- “The English-Woman” (1808); “Celia in Search of a Husband” (1809); “Hours of Affluence and Days of Indigence” (1809); “The Alderman and the Peer” (1810); “The Englishman” (1812); “The English Exposé” (1814); “The Bachelor’s Journal” (1815); and “Genevieve; Or, the Orphan’s Visit.” In The Cambridge Guide to the Eighteenth-Century Novel, ed. April London. Cambridge University Press (forthcoming).
Selected Work in Progress
- Novel Excess: Fiction in the Minerva Press Era (book manuscript)
- “The Minerva Gothic Novel and Reviews at the Breaking Point” (chapter in progress for Lost Legacies: Women Authors and Early Gothic Literature, ed. Kathleen Hudson; University of Wales Press)