Peter Jeffreys, PhD
Associate Professor, EnglishSend a Message
On Leave, Fall 2019.
- PhD, University of Toronto
- MA, Boston College
- BA, Hellenic College
- British Modernism
- The Bloomsbury Group
- Literary Decadence
- British Aestheticism
- Byzantine Art and Hymnography
- Modern Greek Literature
- Alexandrian Sphinx: C.P. Cavafy—A Poet’s Life (forthcoming-2020)
- Approaches to Teaching the Work of C.P. Cavafy. Co-edited with Demetrios Tryphonopoulos. Approaches to Teaching World Literature Series. Modern Language Association of America (forthcoming-2020)
- Η Aναπλαισίωση της Παρακμής: Τα Ιδανικά Πορτραίτα του Κ.Π. Καβάφη. Heraklion: Crete University Press (forthcoming-2020).
- Reframing Decadence: C.P. Cavafy's Imaginary Portraits. Ithaca: Cornell University Press. 2015.
- E.M. Forster-Κ.Π. Καβάφης Αλληλογραφία: Φίλοι σε Eλαφρήν Aπόκλιση. Athens: Ikaros Press, 2013.
- C.P. Cavafy: Selected Prose Works. Translated, annotated and introduced by Peter Jeffreys. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press, 2010.
- The Forster-Cavafy Letters: Friends at a Slight Angle. New York: The American University in Cairo Press, 2009.
- Eastern Questions: Hellenism and Orientalism in the Writings of E. M. Forster and C. P. Cavafy. ELT Press of English Literature in Transition, 1880-1920, The 1880-1920 British Authors Series, Number 18. Greensboro: ELT Press, 2005.
- Saint George’s Greek Orthodox Church: An Architectural and Iconographic Guide. Toronto: University of Toronto Press (privately printed), 2000.
Articles, Essays, and Poems
- "Solos." (poem). Mediterranean Poetry. May 2019.
- "The Cavafy Enigma." Cavafy Archive/Onassis Foundation. March 2019.
- “Greek Necropolis.” (Poem). C.P. Cavafy Forum, University of Michigan. Fall 2018. Department of Classical Studies and Modern Greek.
- “Arrangement in Black and Gray: After Whistler.” (Poem). Ergon: Greek American Transnational Arts and Letters. Fall 2017.
- “Συμφωνία σε Μαύρο και Γκρι: Μετά από Whistler.” (Poem). Άνθη της Πέτρας. Summer 2017.
- “Seraph.” (Poem). Paradise in Limbo Literary Arts Magazine. Issue 1: September, 2016: 13-14.
- “C.P. Cavafy: Living for Art.” The National Herald. December 15, 2013.
- “Remembering Cavafy 150 Years Later.” 13 December, 2013. C.P. Cavafy Forum, University of Michigan.
- “Ταξίδι στον χρόνο με τον Καβάφη: διασκελίζοντας δύο αιώνες/Time Travel with Cavafy: Spanning Two Centuries.” Τα Νέα-Ταχυδρόμος: 2 June, 2013.
- “Οι αυτοκράτειρες του Καβάφη: μια σημείωση για το βυζαντινό camp”/Cavafy’s Empresses: A Note on Byzantine Camp.” Το Δέντρο: June 2013.
- “Performing in Prose: Cavafy’s Πεζά and the Problematics of Style.” Imagination and Logos: Essays on C.P. Cavafy. Harvard Early Modern and Modern Greek Studies. Ed. Panagiotis Roilos. Harvard University Press, 2010.
- “'Aesthetic to the point of affliction’: Cavafy and English Aestheticism.” Journal of Modern Greek Studies 24.1 (2006): 57-89.
- “Cavafian Catoptromancy: A Response to Mr. Savidis.” Windows on Greece: University of Michigan Department of Modern Greek On-Line Cavafy Forum—February 2006.
- “Following the Recipe: Cavafy and Magical Texts” in “…what these Ithacas mean.”: Readings in Cavafy. Athens: Hellenic Literary and Historic Archive, 2002: 134-135.
- “Dünya Güzeli: Cavafy’s Folkloric Odalisque.”Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies 26 (2002): 219-247.
- “Cavafy, Forster, and the Eastern Question.” Journal of Modern Greek Studies 19.1 (2001): 61-87.
Lectures, Papers and Speaking Engagements
- "Cavafy's Levant: Commerce, Culture and Mimicry in the Early Life of the Poet." Cavafy Archive, Onassis Foundation International Cavafy Summer School. Athens, July 8-14, 2019.
- “’Let me submit to Art’: Cavafy’s Pictorialist Poetics.” Cavafy Archive-Onassis Foundation. Athens, June 15, 2018.
- “Cavafy Bros. Inc.: Fraternizing through Commerce and Culture.” Modern Greek Studies Association 25th Biennial Symposium. Stockton University, November 2-5, 2017.
- “C.P. Cavafy’s Imaginary Portraits: Reframing Aestheticism.” University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada. Co-sponsored by UNESCO and the Greek Ministry of Culture, November 26, 2013.
- “Cavafy’s Byzantium: The Poetics of Exquisite Decline.” Lecture.
- Institute of Sacred Music Colloquium, Yale University, November 2, 2011.
- Hellenic Studies Program, Department of Comparative Literature,Yale University, November 3, 2011
- “The Other Cavafy: Selected Prose Works.” Lecture and Book Presentation. University of Michigan Department of Greek Studies, Kelsey Archeological Museum, March 22, 2011.
- “Traces of Paterian Thought in Cavafy’s Shakespeare.” International Cavafy Conference on Editing and Translation in Honor of G.P. Savidis, University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus, October 15-17, 2010.
- “The Slight Angle: The Forster-Cavafy Letters.” Lecture and Book Presentation.
-Boston Greek Consulate, November 11, 2009.
-King’s College, Cambridge University, November 24, 2009.
-Brown University, Department of Classics, April 24, 2010.
- Member of the Editorial Board (2013-2016)
Journal of Modern Greek Studies
- Member of the Executive Board, 2011-2014
Modern Greek Studies Association
- Associate Editor (Arts & Humanities), 2010-2012
Journal of Modern Greek Studies